Illness, Cure and Healing


“Decide, my dear; better mistakes than paralysis.”

These are Julie’s words, a woman overflowing with energy, prevented from moving during the 22 years of her paralysis.  An active girl in Cuvilly, traveling, shopkeeper, comforting the sick, leading the parish, Julie lost the use of her legs at the age of 31 years and would only regain her active life at the age of 53.  During the 12 years that remained of her life, she displayed an intense activity, completely devoting herself to the realization of her apostolate, the Christian instruction of poor girls.  The long days of inactivity and pain during her paralysis taught her to appreciate the joy of being able to perform the simplest tasks!

The circumstances of her paralysis

In 1774, Julie was speaking with her father at home, when a large rock was thrown through the window and a shot was heard.

Gunshot at father. Picture by Sr Genevieve of S.H. (1878-1941) in the book The Charred Wood.

Neither Julie nor her father were hurt but this attack caused such an extreme shock to her overworked body that it was the cause of a serious illness.  In 1782, an epidemic erupted and the unenlightened doctors thought it was best treated by bleeding the feet.  The village surgeon submitted Julie to such abundant bleedings that, little by little, she was deprived of the use of her two legs and she had to stretch out on a bed that she would not leave for 22 years. 

The importance of prayer during her illness

Formerly so active, Julie waited on an invalid’s bed and she drew strength in her faith passing several hours each day in prayer.

In “To Heaven on Foot,” (1969), Sister Mary Linscott writes:

“Julie conceived prayer as the key force in a cycle which bore the soul to God and then, in him, poured it out in the service of others.” 

“Julie said to Sister Stephanie Warnier that during the course of the first eight years of her paralysis, she knew neither isolation nor weariness because she was filled with the presence of God and was sustained by the strength and joy of which the effects were almost tangible. It is during these years of paralysis that Julie became aware of the divine paradox that action is accomplished in inaction.  Julie was energetic by nature; however, she accepted no longer being able to walk because she saw in it the will of God.  Physically inactive, without plans for the future, Julie learned in the school of suffering and silence the lessons that she would one day teach with all the strength of a return to health.  When, at the age of 53, she took up her active life, she fully appreciated the paradox in the of the weak things of the world that the providence of God uses to realize great works.  Her joy and confidence in God never weakened.” 

The circumstances of her cure  

Cure of Julie. Picture by Sr Genevieve of S.H. (1878-1941) in the book The Charred Wood.

On February 2, 1804, Julie founded the Congregation of the Sister of Notre Dame with Françoise Blin de Bourdon.  Since her legs were still paralyzed, Julie experienced some difficulties actualizing her apostolate.  On a beautiful morning, Father Enfantin, a Father of the Faith, suggested that she make a novena to the Sacred Heart, without telling her the reason.  Julie accepted and, on June 1, 1804, she was miraculously cured. 

Handwritten from the Memoirs of Mother Saint Joseph, preserved in the General Archives in Namur, with respect to Julie’s cure.

In her Memoirs, Françoise wrote: “One of the missionaries, Father Enfantin, was so zealous and full of faith that he was inspired to make a novena to the Sacred Heart to obtain our mother’s cure.  When he began, he merely told Julie that he was making a novena and requested her to join him, which she did without questioning. 

On June 8, Friday, Feast of the Heart of Jesus [In reality, the cure occurred on June 1st and not the 8th as Mother Saint Joseph indicates.] , the fifth day of the novena, when Mère Julie was in the garden alone, Father Enfantin came to the house, in the evening after supper while it was still light.  Mère Julie was in the garden alone, in her chair to take some air.  He came up to her and said:  “If you have faith, Mother, take a step in honor of the Heart of Jesus.”  Julie rose and took a step, something she had not done for twenty-two years.” “Take another,” he said.  “Another.”  Then, “That will do; you may sit down now.”  Julie took her seat, though she assured Father that she was able to walk even further. 

Henceforth, Julie was able to participate in the Amiens mission preached by the Father of the Faith and, then, she accompanied them to Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme and at Abbeville where she evangelized the populace. 

In “To Heaven on Foot,” Sister Mary Linscott speaks to us of this cure:

“A careless surgery had so damaged one bone in her foot that the doctor, who was asked to verify her relics when they were exhumed in 1888, hesitated to authenticate it, as he said that a person with such a malformed bone could never have walked at all.  Julie knew that she walked in virtue of a miracle.  In 1804 she had taken her first steps after twenty-two years of helplessness, in obedience to a command: ‘If you have any faith in the Sacred Heart, take a step forward.’  Whether the power of walking was restored by rectifying the surgeon’s clumsiness or simply in spite of it, she never paused to question.  It sufficed for her that God had restored her health and energy.  Her one ambition was to use both for his glory.” 

Concerning the influence of the Fathers of the Faith

Thanks to a caring Faith of the Faith, Father Enfantin, Julie regained the use of her legs and was able to begin her apostolic vocation.

In 1799, a new society called the “Fathers of the Faith” was formed in the spirit of the Company of Jesus (suppressed in 1773).  Although Julie does not clearly mention the Ignatian inspiration in her work, this is evident.  The Fathers of the Faith were present at important moments in the foundation of the Congregation as at the time of her cure. 

Among them, we can cite Father Enfantin who invited Julie to stand up while in the middle of a novena to the Sacred Heart but also Father Thomas who said Mass in Julie’s room at the Blin town home in Amiens and fled to Bettencourt with Julie and Françoise.  Father Varin invited Julie to work for the glory of God and offered the first rule to the community or Father Leblanc who accompanied Julie to Flanders where she would establish several schools.  On October 14, 1805, Julie took, moreover, the name of Sister Saint Ignatius.

Concerning her devotion to the Sacred Heart

It’s not for nothing that her miraculous cure proceeded in the name of the Sacred Heart.  Julie had grown up with a strong personal attachment to the devotion to the Sacred Heart.  Elle propagated it in Cuvilly, introduced it in Belgium and left it as a heritage in the Congregation.

As we have already mentioned in the theme for the month of March, Julie had a devotion to the Sacred Heart as did other members of her family.  In her juridical deposition made in Beauvais in 1882, Madame Victoire Berthelot (great-niece of Julie Billiart) attested that the cult of the Sacred Heart was transmitted as a heritage: My mother told us: ‘I pray to the Sacred Heart, children.  Preserve this devotion. It is a family devotion.’”

Confraternity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus established in Cuvilly. Handwritten list by Father Dangicourt found in a manual of prayers. The tenth name of the first list is that of Julie Billiart, followed a little lower by those of her sister, Marie-Madeleine, her brother Louis-François and several relatives. The original document has disappeared but fortunately this list is reproduced in Father J. Clare’s, The Life of Julie Billiart, Sands and Company, 1909.

Importance of walking during the last twelve years of her life

After 22 years of paralysis, Julie never was able to hope to walk again.  In a space of ten years, she undertook many trips in a stagecoach, on the back of a donkey or even often on foot in order to establish schools for poor girls.  Although she accorded the greatest importance to prayer, Julie spent the last years of her life on the road, caught up in action. 

In the General Archives in Namur, one can find a little note on which Françoise counted Julie’s trips:  120 in ten years!

Note signed by Françoise

According to a study of Sister Mary Hayes, Julie would have made, in reality, 119 trips.  But if one takes into account the many times that Julie redirected her travels in order to cover a broad range of preoccupations, Sister Mary Hayes estimates that Julie’s trips would reach the number 378.

Julie established the first schools in Amiens, Saint Nicolas, Namur, Montdidier, Rubempré and Jumet without needing to cross boarders since Belgium did not yet exist.  If, in Amiens, they frowned on Julie’s travels, it was not the same in Namur where she was supported by Monsignor Pisani who was in favor of all her actions on behalf of her establishments.  She traveled for miles to assure a welcoming home for the sisters and their students.  In 1809, she was at Saint Hubert; in 1810, it was the foundation of Nouveau Bois in Ghent and, in 1811, the installation at Zele.  In spite of war during the last years of the Napoleonic regime, Julie still pursued her work of education by opening schools in Andenne, Gembloux and Fleurus.

On the map, Mère Julie’s foundations:
  1.  Saint Nicolas (1806)
  2. Montdidier (1807)
  3. Namur (1807)
  4. Jumet (1808)
  5. Rubempré (1808)
  6. Saint Hubert (1809)
  7. Ghent (1810)
  8. Zele (1811)
  9. Raineville (1812)
  10. Andenne (1813)
  11. Gembloux (1813)
  12. Fleurus (1814)

Her strength of soul

How was Julie, a girl so active during her youth and who did not spare any effort to help her parents, able to find strength during her long years of illness?  Among Julie’s most striking characteristics, her contemporaries relate, in particular, her greatness of soul and her courage.  Struck by so many trials, among which was her illness, she didn’t let them get her down. On the contrary, she placed her confidence in God, whose “will expressed itself in all things.”  She gave proof of a courage, a lucidity and a sense of humor which affected all who knew her. 

Sister Mary Linscott speaks to us of this fortitude that Julie exercised:

“Fortitude is a great gift and a root of greatness.  It is the quality of attack, of strength, vigor and energy.  Positively, it brings confidence, with power, success and limitless desire; negatively, it gives rise to the refusal to give in, to endurance and perseverance, and to patience.

Saint Julie wrote: “More than ever I see the need of strong, brave, generous souls, manly souls, who are afraid of absolutely nothing on this earth except sin and displeasing God….  Come on now, courage!  courage! courage!  but a manly courage, my dear sister, don’t let any difficulty ever put us off…  We need brave apostolic souls for our vocation, those who are not afraid of difficulties and who have no reserves with God….  If we only have a middling virtue, the work won’t last, it needs souls of steel to hold firm in the world we live in.”

Maladie et guérison


« Décidez-vous, ma chère, il vaut mieux se tromper que d’être paralysée. »

Ces paroles sont celles de Julie, femme débordante d’énergie, empêchée de bouger durant les 22 années de sa paralysie.  Jeune fille active à Cuvilly, voyageant, commerçant, réconfortant les malades, prenant la tête de la paroisse, Julie perdit l’usage de ses jambes à l’âge de 31 ans et ne retrouva sa vie active qu’à l’âge de 53 ans.  Pendant les douze années qui lui restèrent à vivre, elle déploya une activité intense, se consacrant pleinement à la réalisation de son apostolat : l’instruction chrétienne des jeunes filles pauvres.  Les longues journées d’inactivité et de peine durant sa paralysie lui apprirent à apprécier la joie de pouvoir s’acquitter des moindres tâches !

Les circonstances de sa paralysie

En 1774, Julie discutait avec son père chez elle, quand une grosse pierre fut lancée à travers la vitre et un coup de feu se fit entendre.

Attentat contre le père de Julie. Dessin de Sr Genevieve du Sacré-Cœur (1878-1941) dans le livre The Charred Wood.

Ni Julie ni son père ne furent atteints, mais cet attentat causa à la jeune fille une frayeur extrême dans cet organisme surmené par le travail, ce fut la cause d’une grave maladie.  En 1782, survint une épidémie que les médecins peu clairvoyants de l’époque croyaient guérir par une saignée aux pieds. Le chirurgien du village soumit Julie à d’abondantes saignées qui, peu à peu, lui enlevèrent l’usage des deux jambes, elle dut s’étendre sur un lit qu’elle ne quittera plus pendant vingt-deux ans.

Importance de la prière durant sa paralysie
Autrefois si active, Julie attendait sur un lit de malade et elle se renforçait dans sa foi passant plusieurs heures par jour en prières.

Dans « Au ciel à pied » (1969), Sœur Mary Linscott écrit : « Julie concevait la prière comme la force essentielle qui portait l’âme à Dieu et lui permettait ensuite de se déverser au service d’autrui » .

« Julie dit à Sœur Stéphanie Warnier qu’au cours des huit premières années de sa paralysie, elle n’avait jamais connu ni l’isolement ni la lassitude, parce qu’elle était remplie de la présence de Dieu et soutenue par la force et la joie d’une oraison dont les effets étaient presque tangibles.  C’est durant ses années de paralysie que Julie prit conscience du paradoxe divin de l’action accomplie dans l’inaction.  Julie était énergique de nature ; elle accepta cependant de ne plus pouvoir marcher parce qu’elle y voyait la volonté de Dieu.  Physiquement inactive, sans projets pour l’avenir, Julie apprit à l’école de la douleur et du silence les leçons qu’elle enseignerait un jour avec toute la force d’une santé retrouvée.  Lorsque, à l’âge de 53 ans, elle reprit sa vie active, elle apprécia pleinement le paradoxe des choses faibles de ce monde dont la providence de Dieu se sert pour réaliser de grandes œuvres.  Sa joie et sa confiance en Dieu ne faiblirent jamais. »

Les circonstances de sa guérison

Guérison de Julie. Dessin de Sr Genevieve du Sacré-Cœur (1878-1941) dans le livre The Charred Wood.

Le 2 février 1804, Julie fonda avec Françoise Blin de Bourdon la congrégation des Sœurs de Notre-Dame.  Toujours paralysée des jambes, Julie éprouva des difficultés dans la réalisation de son apostolat.  Un beau matin, le Père Enfantin, Père de la Foi, lui proposa une neuvaine au Sacré-Cœur, sans lui en faire connaître le motif.  Julie accepta et, le 1er juin 1804, elle guérit miraculeusement.

Quatre pages des Mémoires de Françoise relatant la guérison de Julie. L’original des Mémoires est conservé aux Archives Générales à Namur.

Voici ce que dit Françoise dans ses Mémoires à propos de la guérison de son amie Julie:

Un de ces messieurs (Le Père Enfantin, Père de la Foi) très zélé et plein de foi, eut l’inspiration de faire une neuvaine au Cœur de Jésus pour obtenir la guérison de notre Mère.  Il lui dit, lorsqu’il l’eut commencée, qu’il faisait une neuvaine pour quelqu’un et qu’elle s’unisse à lui ; ce qu’elle fit sans plus d’explication.

Le 8 juin, le vendredi de la fête du Cœur de Jésus [En réalité, la guérison eut lieu le 1er juin et non le 8 comme le mentionne Mère Saint-Joseph] , la neuvaine étant à son cinquième jour, il vint à la maison, le soir, après le souper, on voyait encore clair ; notre Mère était seule au jardin, à prendre l’air, sur une chaise.  Il fut vers elle et lui dit :

  • Si vous avez la foi, faites un pas en l’honneur du Cœur de Jésus.

Elle se lève et avance un pied devant l’autre ; ce qu’elle n’avait pas fait depuis vingt-deux ans.

  • Faites encore un, lui dit-il.  Elle le fit.
  • Encore un.  L’effet suivit le commandement.
  • C’est bien, continue le bon Père, asseyez-vous !

Désormais, Julie pouvait participer à la grande mission prêchée à Amiens par les Pères de la Foi puis elle les accompagna à Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme et à Abbeville où elle évangélisa la population. 

Dans « Au ciel à pied », Sœur Mary Linscott nous parle de cette guérison :

« Une intervention chirurgicale fait à la légère avait tellement abîmé un os de son pied que le médecin à qui l’on avait demandé de vérifier ses reliques, lors de l’exhumation de 1888, hésita à l’authentifier.  Il affirmait qu’une personne ayant un os aussi déformé ne pouvait jamais avoir marché.  Julie savait qu’elle marchait grâce à un miracle.  En 1804, elle avait fait ses premiers pas après 23 ans d’impuissance, en obéissant à un ordre : « Si vous avez la foi, faites un pas en l’honneur du Sacré-Cœur ».  Pour lui rendre la faculté de marcher, la maladresse du chirurgien avait-elle été réparée ou la guérison s’était-elle simplement opérée en dépit de cette erreur ?  Julie ne s’était jamais posé la question.  Il lui suffisait de savoir que Dieu lui avait rendu sa santé et son énergie.  Son unique ambition était de les employer toutes deux pour sa gloire. »

A propos de l’influence des Pères de la Foi

C’est grâce à un Père de la Foi bienveillant, le Père Enfantin, que Julie retrouva l’usage de ses jambes et put démarrer sa vocation apostolique.

En 1799, une nouvelle société appelée les « Pères de la Foi » se formait dans l’esprit de la Compagnie de Jésus (supprimée en 1773).  Bien que Julie ne mentionne pas clairement l’inspiration ignatienne de son œuvre, celle-ci est évidente.  Les Pères de la Foi ont été présents à des moments importants de la fondation de la congrégation comme lors de sa guérison.  Parmi eux, on peut citer le Père Enfantin qui invita Julie à se mettre debout au cours d’une neuvaine au Sacré-Cœur mais aussi le Père Thomas qui disait la messe dans la chambre de Julie à l’hôtel Blin et se réfugia à Bettencourt avec Julie et Françoise, le Père Varin qui invita Julie à travailler à la gloire de Dieu et offrit une première règle à la communauté ou encore le Père Leblanc qui accompagna Julie en Flandre où elle fondera plusieurs écoles.  Le 15 octobre 1805, Julie prit d’ailleurs le nom de sœur Saint-Ignace. 

A propos de sa dévotion au Sacré-Cœur

Ce n’est pas pour rien que sa guérison miraculeuse s’opéra au nom du Sacré-Cœur.  Julie avait grandi avec un attachement personnel très fort à la dévotion au Sacré-Cœur.  Elle la répandit à Cuvilly, l’introduisit en Belgique et la laissa en héritage à la congrégation.

Comme nous l’avons déjà mentionné dans le thème du mois de mars, Julie avait une dévotion au Sacré-Cœur comme les autres membres de sa famille.  Dans sa déposition juridique faite à Beauvais en 1882, Madame Victoire Berthelot (petite-nièce de Julie Billiart) atteste que le culte du Sacré-Cœur se transmettait comme un héritage : « Ma Mère nous disait : Je prie le Sacré-Cœur, mes enfants.  Conservez cette dévotion : c’est une dévotion de famille. ».

Confrérie du Sacré-Cœur de Jésus établie à Cuvilly. Liste écrite de la main de l’abbé Dangicourt retrouvée dans un manuel de prières. Le dixième nom de la première liste est celui de Julie Billiart, suivi un peu plus bas de ceux de sa sœur Marie-Madeleine, de son frère Louis-François et de plusieurs personnes de leur parenté. Le document original a disparu mais fort heureusement cette liste est reproduite dans Father J. Clare, The life of Julie Billiart, Sands and Company, 1909.

Importance de la marche durant les douze dernières années de sa vie.

Après 22 ans de paralysie, Julie n’avait jamais pu espérer marcher encore.  En l’espace de dix années, elle entreprit de nombreux voyages en diligence, à dos d’âne ou même souvent à pied en vue d’établir des écoles pour les jeunes filles pauvres.  Alors qu’elle accordait la plus grande importance à la prière, Julie passa les dernières années de sa vie sur les routes, happée par l’action. 

Dans les Archives Générales de Namur, se trouve un petit billet sur lequel Françoise compte les déplacements de Julie : 120 voyages en dix ans ! 

Billet autographe de Françoise

Selon une étude de Sœur Mary Hayes, Julie aurait fait en réalité 119 voyages.  Mais si l’on tient compte des nombreuses fois où Julie a détourné ses voyages pour couvrir un large éventail de préoccupations, Sœur Mary Hayes estime que les voyages de Julie pourraient atteindre 378.

Julie fonda les premières écoles à Amiens, Saint-Nicolas, Namur, Montdidier, Rubempré et Jumet sans avoir besoin de traverser des frontières puisque la Belgique n’existait pas encore.  Si à Amiens on acceptait mal les voyages de Julie, il n’en était pas de même à Namur où elle était soutenue par Mgr Pisani favorable à toutes ses démarches de fondations.  Elle parcourut des kilomètres pour assurer une maison accueillante aux sœurs et à leurs élèves.  En 1809, elle était à Saint-Hubert ; en 1810, c’était la fondation du Nouveau Bois à Gand et, en 1811, l’installation à Zele.  Malgré la guerre durant les dernières années du régime napoléonien, Julie poursuivit encore son œuvre d’éducation en ouvrant des écoles à Andenne, Gembloux et Fleurus.

Sur la carte, les fondations de Mère Julie :
  1.  Saint Nicolas (1806)
  2. Montdidier (1807)
  3. Namur (1807)
  4. Jumet (1808)
  5. Rubempré (1808)
  6. Saint Hubert (1809)
  7. Ghent (1810)
  8. Zele (1811)
  9. Raineville (1812)
  10. Andenne (1813)
  11. Gembloux (1813)
  12. Fleurus (1814)

Sa force d’âme

Comment Julie, jeune fille si active durant sa jeunesse, n’épargnant pas sa peine pour aider ses parents, a-t-elle pu trouver la force durant ses longues années de maladie ?  Parmi les caractéristiques les plus frappantes de Julie, les contemporaines relevaient en particulier sa grandeur d’âme et son courage.  Frappée par de multiples épreuves, dont la maladie, elle ne se laissa pas abattre.  Elle plaçait, au contraire, sa confiance en Dieu, dont « la volonté s’exprime en toutes choses ».  Elle faisait preuve d’un courage, d’une lucidité et d’un sens de l’humour qui marquaient ceux et celles qui la côtoyaient.

Sœur Mary Linscott nous parle de cette force d’âme dont Julie faisait preuve :

« La force d’âme est la qualité qui unit l’esprit d’entreprise, le courage, la vigueur et l’énergie.  D’un point de vue positif, elle apporte la confiance, la puissance d’agir, la réussite et des désirs illimités ; d’un point négatif, elle engendre le refus de céder, l’endurance, la persévérance et la patience. »

Sainte Julie écrivait : « Plus que jamais, je sens la nécessité des âmes fortes, généreuses, courageuses, des âmes mâles, en un mot, qui ne craignent rien, rien sur la terre que le péché, que déplaire au bon Dieu…  Allons, courage ! Courage ! mais un courage mâle ; ma chère sœur, ne vous laissez jamais décourager par aucune difficulté…  Il nous faut, pour notre vocation, des âmes apostoliques courageuses qui n’ont pas peur des difficultés et qui se donnent à Dieu sans réserve…  Si nous n’avons qu’une vertu médiocre, notre œuvre ne durera pas ; elle a besoin d’âmes d’acier pour tenir bon dans le siècle où nous vivons. »

Sainte Julie et Françoise, Sœurs de Notre-Dame, deux amies et éducatrices


Françoise Blin de Bourdon (Mère Saint-Joseph de 1816 à 1838)

Voici l’histoire d’une grande amie de Julie Billiart, Françoise Blin de Bourdon, sans qui la congrégation n’aurait jamais vu le jour !

Un des dons que la congrégation considère comme le plus précieux est le fait qu’elle soit née d’une profonde amitié entre deux femmes.  C’est une de ces amitiés qui peuvent figurer parmi les grandes amitiés dans la vie religieuse. 

Françoise possédait une immense capacité d’amitié.  Nous allons surtout parler de celle qui l’unissait à Julie.

L’histoire de 22 ans d’amitié entre Julie et Françoise (entre 1794 et 1816)

Nées au milieu du 18ème siècle (Julie en 1751 et Françoise en 1756), dans le Nord de la France, dans des milieux fort différents, les 40 premières années de leur vie ne se ressemblent pas par les circonstances extérieures, mais offrent de grandes similitudes au niveau de leur engagement envers le Seigneur.  Elles avaient une vie intérieure très riche.  Julie meurt en 1816, après 22 ans d’amitié et de travail commun.

La congrégation des Sœurs de Notre-Dame de Namur est fondée sur une amitié IMPRÉVISIBLE entre deux femmes françaises très DIFFÉRENTES [Julie et Françoise étaient différentes en caractère : la première joviale, extravertie ; l’autre plus discrète ; elles étaient aussi différentes de par leur origine et leur éducation : l’une est d’un milieu modeste et a été à l’école du village et l’autre est de la haute noblesse aristocratique avec une bonne éducation.  Pourtant nous verrons que Julie et Françoise se ressemblent par la manière de vivre pour le Seigneur].

1. Vie de Françoise Blin de Bourdon avant sa rencontre avec Julie

En quatre mots : Aristocratie, bonne éducation, châtelaine et carmel

  • Aristocratie : Une naissance noble dans une famille aisée, fruit de l’union entre les Blin de Bourdon et les Fouquesolles

La famille de Françoise était l’une des plus anciennes de Picardie, dans le Nord de la France.  Son histoire remonte au onzième siècle.  Au Moyen-âge il y avait un dicton à propos de son nom.  Quand quelque chose était bon, les gens disaient que c’était “bon comme un Blin.”

Portrait de Françoise Blin de Bourdon, demoiselle de Gézaincourt.

Lorsque ses parents se marient en 1748, son père, Pierre-Louis Blin de Bourdon avait 42 ans et sa mère, Marie-Louise-Claudine de Fouquesolles en avait 17.  Née le 8 mars 1756, et précédée par un frère Louis-Marie-César et une sœur Marie-Louise-Aimée, elle était la troisième et dernière enfant. Baptisée le lendemain de sa naissance, en la fête de Ste Françoise Romaine. Agée seulement de 25 ans et avec deux autres enfants de deux et trois ans, la maman de Françoise fut encouragée à laisser le nouveau-né au manoir de ses parents à Gézaincourt, une vaste et belle maison de campagne avec des jardins (30 km d’Amiens). A part quelques séjours à Bourdon où ses parents possèdent le château, elle passe son enfance à Gézaincourt, chez ses grands-parents maternels, le baron et la baronne de Fouquesolles.  La grand-mère de Françoise, avec l’assistance d’une gouvernante, Mademoiselle Ursule, introduisit la jeune enfant dans ses premières expériences d’éducation, à la fois religieuses et laïques.  Françoise est élevée dans l’amour.  Elle était une petite fille obstinée et têtue.

  • Education raffinée :

A l’âge de 6 ans, Françoise devint pensionnaire chez les Bénédictines à Doullens.  C’est là qu’elle reçut la confirmation à l’âge de 8 ans.  En 1768, elle fut envoyée pour deux ou trois ans chez les Ursulines à Amiens pour parfaire son éducation.  A l’âge de dix-neuf ans, pour préparer ses débuts dans la société française, elle fréquente les salons de Paris et est présentée à la Cour de Versailles.  Elle fut une amie de la sœur du roi Louis XVI, Madame Elisabeth.

Illustration T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

Françoise a 25 ans quand sa sœur et son frère se marient.  A l’âge de 25 ans, elle est maintenant seule avec ses parents à Bourdon.  C’est une souffrance pour elle car elle s’entendait bien avec son frère qui était un véritable ami et confident.  Celui-ci s’établit à Amiens où il achète un hôtel rue des Augustins.

Trois ans plus tard, elle a 28 ans : son grand-père maternel et sa mère décèdent (son grand-père le 24 février 1784 et sa mère le 2 avril).  Sa mère avait 53 ans ; elle est morte 10 mois après un accident de voiture.

Françoise a beaucoup souffert de ses disparitions.

  • Châtelaine et Carmel :

Françoise ne reste pas longtemps avec son père car son devoir l’appelle à Gézaincourt.  Elle doit aider sa grand-mère et assumer ses devoirs de châtelaine du vaste domaine. Elle fait le don d’elle-même à sa grand-mère, aux villageois, elle devient distributrice des aumônes aux plus pauvres.  Là, elle administre le domaine et ses vastes dépendances. Elle visite aussi les malades et les soigne au moyen de plantes médicinales qu’elle cultive; les villageois demandent volontiers conseil à la « bonne demoiselle ». Le curé de la paroisse affirma plus tard que Françoise allait chaque jour à la messe, priait longuement et communiait souvent. [Françoise sans le savoir se préparait à gérer la future congrégation, à devenir bonne gestionnaire afin de prendre les bonnes décisions pour accroître l’Institut  – cfr. Mémoire de Cécile Dupont en vue de l’obtention d’un master en histoire : Les SND de Namur, entrepreneures de l’éducation (1804-1842), Louvain-la-Neuve, 2014].
On a trouvé dans ses écrits des notes qui montrent un engagement très profond envers Dieu.  Dans ses notes personnelles, elle avait écrit, en 1783, « demi-conversion, lumière imparfaite » et, en 1785 (à 29 ans), « Conversion entière. Résolution invariable d’écarter tout ce qui m’éloignerait de ma fin ». Elle souhaitait entrer au Carmel.

En 1789, la Révolution éclate.  Françoise, à cause de son origine sociale, souffrira terriblement de la Révolution française.

Illustration T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

En 1793, les membres de la famille Blin de Bourdon (le père –âgé de plus de 80 ans-et le frère de Françoise), dont certains sont accusés à tort d’avoir fui le pays, sont emprisonnés.  En février 1794, Françoise est arrêtée, à la place de sa grand-mère –qui meurt le 18 mars-, et conduite à la prison d’Amiens.  Vu l’encombrement des maisons d’arrêt, on propose aux prisonnières d’être transférées chez les Carmélites, retenues captives dans leur monastère.  Seule Françoise accepte. [Françoise ne les rencontrera pas mais elle dit les entendre prier].  Ce n’est qu’après la mort de Robespierre qu’ils seront tous libérés les 3 et 4 août 1794 ; Françoise rejoint alors son frère à l’hôtel Blin, à Amiens. Le Vicomte part pour Bourdon ; Françoise reste un an à Amiens.
C’est là qu’elle va rencontrer Julie.
Quelques mots sur la vie de Julie :
Julie, quant à elle, souffre terriblement de la Révolution française à cause de sa fidélité à l’église et sa grande foi. Contrainte de fuir son village qu’elle n’avait jamais quitté.  A 40 ans, paralysée, ayant perdu l’usage de la parole, ayant connu plusieurs domiciles à Gournay-sur-Aronde et à Compiègne, elle fut recueilli en octobre 1794 par une aristocrate connue à Cuvilly, la comtesse Baudoin. 

2. La rencontre

Peu de temps après l’arrivée de Julie à l’hôtel Blin (cfr. thème du mois d’avril), Madame Baudoin propose à Françoise de rencontrer Julie.  Françoise qui n’avait pas trop d’occupation accepte.

Bande dessinée de Julie Billiart, éditions du Signe, 2000.

Françoise devait écrire plus tard dans ses Mémoires au sujet de leur rencontre :

« Cette demoiselle (Françoise), qui n’avait pas bcp d’occupations, voulut bien faire connaissance avec la malade ; mais, ne pouvant pas entendre le langage de l’infirme, il semble que ces visites ne devaient pas avoir bcp de charme pour elle… Cette demoiselle finit, contre toute apparence de raison naturelle, à s’y attacher au point que l’on verra par la suite. »

Julie s’attache tout de suite à Françoise.  Elle l’avait déjà vue dans une vision (voir le thème du mois de mai) et la reconnaît. 

Au début, la rencontre entre Julie (43 ans) et Françoise (38 ans) est difficile ; Julie a de la peine à s’exprimer et Françoise ne la comprend pas.

C’est intéressant de voir que c’est Françoise qui se met au service de Julie.  Elle décide d’accomplir une œuvre de charité, un travail de compassion.  Selon Saint François de Sales, l’amitié n’est pas seulement un sentiment mais un effort résolu qui suit une décision.  Ce qui commence par un travail de compassion se transforma en l’un des plus beaux exemples d’amitié spirituelle entre deux femmes. 

Un des fondements de l’amitié est qu’elle croit avec le temps.  Très vite, donc, des liens d’affection se tissent entre les deux femmes.  Les visites deviennent de plus en plus fréquentes.  Toutes les deux avaient des affinités pour les choses spirituelles.

3. Dans la relation d’amitié entre Julie et Françoise, on peut voir 3 étapes. 

La première étape se situe entre 1794 et 1799.

L’amitié commence

  • avec une ressemblance entre les personnes (Les deux femmes avaient été mises à l’épreuve de la SOUFFRANCE aux moments cruciaux de la Révolution française – Julie paralysée et Françoise éprouvée par la mort de sa mère et de ses grands-parents et par une période de terrible emprisonnement.  Toutes deux étaient sorties de leurs épreuves avec une FOI RENFORCÉE et un engagement plus profond). 
    L’amitié entre Julie et Françoise est la seule vraie amitié comme le disaient les Anciens : celle basée sur le bien. Julie et Françoise se ressemblent dans cette vertu. Et il y a RÉCIPROCITÉ dans la reconnaissance mutuelle de la VERTU propre à chacune est évidente.  Il y a mutuelle bienveillance qui s’exprime par le fait de désirer l’amour de Dieu l’une pour l’autre.  C’est une « Amitié affectueuse centrée sur Jésus ».  Nous pouvons dire que dès le début l’amitié ente Julie et Françoise était d’ordre spirituel. 
    Saint Augustin écrit qu’il éprouverait le besoin d’approcher et de connaître une personne dont l’amour pour le Christ s’était prouvé face à l’épreuve ou la persécution, et de se lier d’amitié avec elle.  Tel était le cas pour Julie et Françoise dont l’amour pour le Christ s’était prouvé avant leur rencontre.

Bientôt, se forme autour de Julie une association pieuse. En plus de Françoise, les filles de Madame Baudoin invitent leurs amies, les demoiselles de Méry et Doria.  L’abbé Thomas, caché à l’hôtel Blin, anime le groupe et célèbre l’eucharistie.  Des enfants sont baptisés et confirmés dans la chambre de Julie.  Mais cette société n’eut qu’une existence éphémère.  Françoise restera la seule compagne de Julie.

Françoise reste un an à Amiens.

Entre 1795 et 1797, Françoise séjourne à Gézaincourt et à Bourdon près de son père malade.  Pendant ces deux années de séparation, Françoise et Julie s’écrivent de nombreuses lettres.  Françoise rentre à Amiens après le décès de son père.

On a conservé les lettres de Julie à Françoise : 33 lettres où l’on peut découvrir l’affection qu’elles se portaient.  Elles communiquaient leur amitié.  Et comme disait Saint François de Sales : le manque de communication (union des cœurs) peut mettre fin à l’amitié.

  • Julie devient vite la « Mère » dans leur correspondance.  Alors que Françoise est la personne dotée d’un statut social et la première à avoir offert son soutien, c’est Julie qui est devenue la directrice spirituelle en qui l’on a toute confiance. 

Après la mort de son père, Françoise était libre de se consacrer à Dieu comme elle le souhaitait.  Mais, elle avait des doutes quant à la forme du projet : elle hésitait à devenir Carmélite.  C’est alors que Julie lui fait part de ce qu’elle avait vu au cours d’une vision qu’elle avait eue quand elle se cachait à Compiègne : des femmes religieuses et parmi elles se trouvaient le visage de Françoise que Julie ne connaissait pas encore.  Françoise retourne confiante à Amiens.

Fin 1797, une nouvelle « Terreur » éclate. L’abbé Thomas, poursuivi jusque dans l’hôtel Blin, échappe à ses agresseurs le 15 juin 1799.  Le lendemain, le Père Thomas, Françoise, Julie et sa nièce Félicité se réfugient à Bettencourt.  Ensemble, ils évangélisent le village.  La santé de Julie s’améliore et elle commence à parler. 

Dans toute amitié, il y a une deuxième et une troisième phase :

  • Entre 1799 et 1803 (c’est la deuxième étape de leur relation d’amitié) : Période heureuse où elles vivent ensemble à Bettencourt  – les amies se communiquent leur vie intérieure et participent chacune aux qualités de l’autre.
    Importance de la communication : cfr Aristote : « Si des amis ne se pouvaient pas être présents l’un à l’autre et s’ils ne pouvaient pas communiquer entre eux, l’amitié finirait par mourir. »  L’amitié se travaille, prend du temps.

    Commence le temps de ce que Saint François de Sales appelait, « le doux combat » de l’amitié.  L’amitié nécessite de la franchise ; les malentendus sont inévitables (et il y en aura entre Julie et Françoise, notamment à cause de la distance entre elles et de leur échange de lettres quand l’une sera à Amiens et l’autre à Namur)

    L’amitié est renforcée par les nombreuses difficultés partagées, patience témoignée, tendresse, considération, partage des fardeaux.

    Le changement visible de la relation entre Julie et Françoise : de directrice et dirigée, elles passent à une égalité mutuellement reconnue.

En février 1803, le Père Thomas, Julie et Françoise rentrent à Amiens. Les deux amies accueillent des petites orphelines dans une maison modeste, rue Neuve.

– La troisième et dernière étape dans le développement de l’amitié véritable est sa perfection : l’union dans la diversité.  A ce stade, les amies se partagent leurs qualités les plus intimes, se communiquent chacun des aspects d’elles-mêmes, devenant un seul cœur, une seule âme.

Comme disait Aristote : « Une seule âme dans deux corps. »
Les témoignages abondent à propos de l’union évidente de Julie et Françoise qui étaient en harmonie totale malgré des différences frappantes de tempérament (cfr Mémoires Blin) : « La Mère Julie, par son humilité et par cette prudence chrétienne qui ne veut pas que l’on s’appuie sur soi-même, la consultait presque en toute chose.  Elle la regardait comme sa coopératrice et son amie et elles étaient très unies de cœur et d’esprit. »  « Le caractère de la Mère Blin était différent de celui de la Mère Julie mais comme elles étaient très unies, il n’y avait aucune diversité d’opinion. » Julie était plutôt extravertie, prompte à passer à l’action ; Françoise était réservée, introvertie.

Le 2 février 1804, Julie, Françoise et Catherine Duchâtel (qui décédera quelques mois plus tard) font leur vœu de chasteté et s’engagent à consacrer leur vie à l’éducation chrétienne. Elles prennent le nom de Sœurs de Notre-Dame et reçoivent une règle du Père Varin.  Françoise, comme il était de coutume à l’époque, prend le nom de Sœur Saint-Joseph.

Le 15 octobre 1805, Julie, Françoise, Victoire Leleu et Justine Garson prononcent leurs vœux de religion.  Le lendemain, Mère Julie est élue supérieure générale.  Le 19 juin 1806, les statuts de l’Association dite de Notre-Dame sont approuvés par Napoléon.  L’ouverture d’écoles gratuites est autorisée.  Françoise apporte sa richesse à la congrégation.

Un conflit éclate à Amiens avec le supérieur de la congrégation, l’abbé de Sambucy.  Il exige également de Sœur Saint-Joseph qu’elle lègue toute sa fortune à la seule maison d’Amiens.  Les deux fondatrices refusent ces propositions.  L’abbé de Sambucy influence habilement l’évêque d’Amiens, Mgr Demandolx et parvient à obliger Julie à quitter le diocèse le 12 janvier 1809.

Illustration T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

Durant ce conflit, Françoise témoigne une grande amitié à Julie (partage des fardeaux).

Les premières Sœurs de Notre-Dame s’établissent à Namur, le 7 juillet 1807, à la demande de Mgr Pisani de la Gaude.  L’évêque de Namur les accueille avec grande sympathie et leur offre une maison près de l’évêché.  Sœur St-Joseph est nommée supérieure de la communauté.  Grâce à la fortune de Françoise, les Sœurs achètent une maison plus grande, rue des fossés (l’actuelle maison mère). Namur devient la maison mère des SND.  De nombreuses écoles sont fondées.

4. Après la mort de Julie [Après 22 ans d’amitié, Françoise vivra encore 22 ans sans Julie]

En 1816, après la mort de Mère Julie, Mère Saint-Joseph est élue supérieure générale et le restera jusqu’à la fin de sa vie.  Elle continue fidèlement l’œuvre de son amie ; elle rédige la règle, achève les fondations à Liège et à Dinant, crée celles de Thuin, de Verviers, de Philippeville et de Bastogne.

Son grand souci sera de garder l’unité de la congrégation sous le régime hollandais entre 1815 et 1830.  En interdisant à toute autorité étrangère d’enseigner, Guillaume Ier cause beaucoup de souci à Mère Saint-Joseph. 

  • Le Roi Guillaume fixe le nombre de sœurs autorisées dans chaque maison. 
  • Les Sœurs sont obligées de passer un examen devant la commission d’instruction.
  • Françoise veut démissionner comme supérieure générale en faveur d’une sœur d’origine flamande pour le bien de la congrégation.
    Finalement, en décembre 1824, elle reçoit le document de naturalisation et devient citoyenne des Pays-Bas.
    [Après lui avoir causé tant de souci, le Roi Guillaume Ier vient à Namur en 1829, il visite l’école et part en lui disant : « Madame, une femme comme vous ne devrait jamais mourir ! » (cfr. les annales de la congrégation)]
  • Entretemps, Mère Saint-Joseph avaient accepté la prise en charge d’hospices puisque les écoles n’étaient plus viables.
Mère Saint-Joseph et le Roi Guillaume Ier, illustré par T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

En 1835, malgré l’opposition de certaines sœurs, elle conserve intact l’esprit de l’Institut.  C’est ce qu’on appelle la grande épreuve : une épreuve douloureuse qui venait de ses propres filles et qui a mis en danger l’existence de l’Institut.  Une religieuse a comploté la Réforme de la congrégation des SND (18 sœurs étaient dans le secret dont la maîtresse des novices).  Leur intention était d’établir deux catégories de membres (converses pour les travaux domestiques et de chœur pour l’enseignement).  Le but de cette nouvelle organisation était d’éduquer au pensionnat les jeunes filles de la haute société. 

Ce projet visait directement deux des trois points essentiels/fondamentaux de l’Institut :

– égalité entre les sœurs

– dévouement à l’instruction des pauvres

La conservation du gouvernement général avait déjà valu à Julie l’expulsion d’Amiens.

Avec l’aide de Sr Ignace Goethals, Mère Saint-Joseph sortit triomphante de la lutte mais au prix de grandes souffrances.  Trois sœurs quittèrent l’Institut ; les autres reconnurent leurs fautes et après une réparation publique, furent réadmises.

Françoise meurt à Namur, à l’âge de 82 ans (le 9 février 1838). 

5. Conclusion

Ce qui nous touche particulièrement chez Françoise, c’est le contraste entre cette femme de la noblesse qui tentait de vivre simplement [dans la congrégation, il n’y avait pas de distinction entre les sœurs converses et les sœurs de chœur).  Et ce n’était pas facile pour elle et pour sa famille.  A Amiens, quand elle allait en ville habillée avec le costume religieux, cela causait de l’embarras, de la gêne à sa famille.  Françoise était issue de la haute noblesse aristocratique mais elle n’a jamais utilisé sa fortune pour exercer une certaine influence, un pouvoir sur la vie des autres.  Comme l’explique Sœur Jo Ann Recker, son véritable pouvoir d’influence résidait plutôt dans son aptitude à transformer la vie des autres par l’amitié.  Et Françoise possédait une immense capacité d’amitié.  Elle avait cette aptitude unique à l’oubli de soi et au sincère souci du bien de l’autre : depuis sa grand-mère qu’elle aimait tant, son amie d’enfance (Jeanne de Franssu avec qui elle garda des liens jusqu’à sa mort), son amie Julie Billiart et sa chère Sœur en religion Sr Anastasie Leleu.  Elle était capable de voir le plus grand bien dans chaque personne qu’elle rencontrait.

Dieu attira Julie et Françoise ensemble pour quelque chose de spécial.  Il les amena à l’unité dans la diversité pour rendre possible le développement de l’Institut.

Que cet exemple d’amitié entre deux femmes puisse être source d’inspiration pour vous !


Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN), PWPT « A treasure beyond price », FVP, 2016.

Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN), Julie, Françoise et notre héritage d’une amitié, Un trésor qui n’a pas de prix, Session Renouveau Julie, 1997.

Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN), Françoise Blin de Bourdon, Une femme d’influence, L’histoire de la co-fondatrice des SND de Namur, 2001.

Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN), “Très affectueusement, votre mère en Dieu”, Françoise Blin de Bourdon, French Aristocrat, Belgian Citizen, Co-Foundress of the SND de Namur (1756-1838), 2001.

Marie-Francine Vanderperre (SNDdeN), Julie et Françoise, 3 novembre 2008.

LAWLER, Magdalen (SNDdeN), Pistes pour redécouvrir la bonté de Dieu, 2004, pg 22.

POOLE, Myra (SNDdeN), Prayer, protest, power, 2001, pg 52-69.

Quelles sont les sources pour connaître cette amitié ?

  1. Mémoires de Mère St-Joseph
  2. Les premières lettres de Julie et les lettres en dialogue
  3. Témoignages de Sœurs les ayant connues

Saint Julie and Françoise, Sisters of Notre-Dame, two friends and educators


Françoise Blin de Bourdon (Mother Saint-Joseph between 1816 and 1838).

This is the story of the great friendship between Julie Billiart, Françoise Blin de Bourdon, without which the Congregation would never have seen the light of day!

One of the gifts that the Congregation considers as its most precious is the fact that it is born of a deep friendship between two women.  This is one of those friendships that can figure among the greatest in religious life. 

Françoise possessed an immense capacity for friendship.  We are going to speak especially of that which united her to Julie.

The story of 22 years of friendship between Julie and Françoise (between 1794-1816)

Born in the middle of the 18th century (Julie in 1751 and Françoise in 1756), in the north of France, from very different backgrounds, the first 40 years of their lives are not alike in their exterior circumstances but offer great similarities with respect to their relationship with God.  They both had a rich interior life.  Julie dies in 1816, after 22 years of friendship and collaboration with Françoise.  The Congregation of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Namur is founded on an UNPREDICTABLE friendship between two very DIFFERENT French women.  [Julie and Françoise had very different personalities:  the first joyful, extroverted; the other more reserved.  They also differed in their origins and education:  the one from a modest milieu and who attended the village school; the other from the aristocracy with an excellent education.  However, we will see how Julie and Françoise resembled one another in their way of living for God.

 1. The Life of Françoise Blin de Bourdon before meeting Julie

In four words:  Aristocratic, well-educated, chatelain and Carmel.

  • Aristocratic:  A noble birth in a wealthy family, fruit of the union between the Blin de Bourdon and the Fouquesolles families.  Françoise’s family was one of the oldest in Picardy, in the north of France.  It traced its heritage to the eleventh century.  In the Middle Ages there was an adage with respect to the name.  When something was considered good, people said that it was “good as a Blin.” 
Françoise Blin de Bourdon, Lady of Gézaincourt

When her parents married in 1748, her father, Pierre-Louis Blin de Bourdon, was 42 years of age and her mother, Marie-Louise-Claudine de Fouquesolles, was 17.  Born on March 8, 1756, and preceded by a brother, Louis-Marie-César and a sister, Marie-Louise-Aimée, she was the third and last child and was baptized the day after her birth, on the feast of Sainte Françoise Romaine.  Only 25 years of age and with two other children, 2 and 3 years old, Françoise’s mother was encouraged to leave the newborn with her parents at Gézaincourt, a vast and beautiful country manor with gardens (about 19 miles from Amiens).   Aside from a few trips to Bourdon where her parents possess a chateau, she spends her childhood at Gézaincourt with her maternal grandparents, the baron and baroness de Fouquesolles.  Françoise’s grandmother, with the assistance of a governess, Mademoiselle Ursula, introduces the young child to her first educational experiences, religious and secular.  Françoise is raised with love.  She was an obstinate and strong-willed child. 
* Well-educated
At the age of six, Françoise became a boarder with the Benedictines in Doullens.  It was there that she was confirmed when she was eight years of age.  In 1768, she was sent for two or three years to the Ursulines in Amiens to complete her education.   At 19, in order to prepare for her introduction into French society, she frequents the salons of Paris and is presented to the Court at Versailles.  She was a friend of the sister of King Louis XVI, Madame Élisabeth.  

Illustration by T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

Françoise was 25 when her sister and brother marry and she now finds herself alone with her parents at Bourdon.  This is a sacrifice for her since she got along well with her brother who was a true friend and confidant.  He establishs himself in Amiens where he buys a town home on the rue des Augustins. 

Three years later, at age 28:  her maternal grandfather and her mother died (her grandfather on February 24, 1784, and her mother on April 2).  Her mother was 53 when she died, 10 months after a carriage accident.

Françoise suffered greatly from these losses.

  • Chatelain and Carmel:

Françoise doesn’t stay long with her father because her duty calls her to Gézaincourt.  She must assist her grandmother and assume her duties as chatelain of the vast domain.  She gives herself to her grandmother and the villagers and she distributes alms to the poor.  There she manages the vast domain and its dependencies.  She also visits the sick and cares for them by means of medicinal herbs that she cultivates; the villagers freely ask advice of the “good young lady.”  The pastor later affirms that Françoise went each day to Mass, prayed at length and received communion often.  [Françoise seemed to be aware that she was preparing herself to manage the future Congregation by becoming a good administrator in order to make good decisions and expand the Institute. [Cf.  Mémoire de Cécile Dupont for the purpose of obtaining her Masters in History:  The SND de Namur, Educational  Entrepreneurs (1804-1842), Louvain-la-Neuve, 2014]. 

In her writings are found notes that show a deep commitment to God.  In these personal notes, she had written, in 1783, “partial conversion; imperfect light” and, in 1785 (age 29), “full or complete conversion with the unshakeable resolve to remove from my life all that could separate me from my end or goal.”   She wanted to enter a Carmelite monastery. 

In 1789, the Revolution breaks out.  Françoise, because of her social standing, will suffer terribly during the French Revolution.

Illustration by T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

In 1793, the members of the Blin de Bourdon family (her father, more than 80 years of age, and Françoise’s brother) were among those falsely accused of having fled the country, were imprisoned.  In February of 1894, Françoise is arrested in place of her grandmother – who dies on March 18 – and is conducted to prison in Amiens.  Because of overcrowding in the prisons, prisoners were given the option of begin transferred to the Carmelite monastery where the Carmelites were being held captive.  Only Françoise accepted the transfer.  [Françoise will not encounter them but she hears them pray.]  It is only after the death of Robespierre that they will all be freed on August 3 and 4, 1794; Françoise then rejoins her brother at the Hotel Blin, in Amiens.  The Viscount leaves for Bourdon; Françoise stays in Amiens.
It is there that she will meet Julie. 

A few words on Julie’s life:
As for Julie, she suffers terribly during the French Revolution because of her fidelity to the Church and her deep faith.  Forced to flee her village that she had never left, at 40 years of age, paralyzed, having lost the use of speech, having known several dwellings in Gournay-sur-Aronde and in Compiègne, she was retrieved in October of 1794 by an aristocrat well known in Cuvilly, the Countess Baudoin. 

2. The Meeting

A Little after Julie’s arrival at the Hotel Blin (cf. April’s theme), Madame Baudoin proposes to Françoise that she meet Julie. 

Comic of Saint Julie, Editions du Signe, 2000.

Françoise, who didn’t have too many occupations at the time, accepts.  Françoise was to write later about this encounter in her Memoires:

            “This young woman had leisure in abundance and was quite willing to come, though when she found she could not understand the invalid’s labored speech the visits seemed less attractive….  Finally, in spite of a natural repugnance which she had at first experienced, a friendship grew between them, as events will show.” 

Julie is immediately drawn to Françoise.  She had already seen her in a vision (see the theme for the month of May) and recognizes her.

In the beginning, the encounter with Julie (43 years old) and Françoise (38) is difficult:  Julie could hardly express herself and Françoise does not understand her.

It is interesting to note that it is Françoise who ministers to Julie.  She makes the decision to perform an act of charity, a work of compassion.  According to Saint Francis de Sales, the love of friendship is not merely a feeling but a resolute effort following a decision….  What begins with an act of compassion is transformed into one of the most beautiful examples of spiritual friendship between two women.

One of the foundations of friendship is that it should grow in time.  Very quickly, then, the bonds of affection grew between the two women.  Visits become more and more frequent.  Both had an affinity for things spiritual. 

3. In the friendship between Julie and Françoise, we can see 3 stages.

The first state is situated between 1794-1799.

The friendship begins

  • with a resemblance between the two women.  (The two women had been tested by the SUFFERING endured during the height of the French Revolution –  Julie, paralyzed, and Françoise tested by the deaths of her mother and her grandparents and by a period of terrifying imprisonment.  Both emerged from their sufferings more FAITH-FILLED and committed to growth in goodness.

The friendship between Julie and Françoise is the only perfect kind of friendship, the Ancients would say:  it is based on goodness or virtue.  Julie and Françoise resembled one another in their goodness.  And, the RECIPROCITY in the recognition of the GOOD proper to each one is evident.  There is a mutual benevolence which expresses itself by the fact that each desires growth in the love of God for the other.   It is a “Jesus-centered affectionate friendship.”  We can say that, from the beginning, the friendship between Julie and Françoise was of a spiritual order.

Saint Augustin writes that he would feel the need to approach, to know and to bind himself in friendship to a person whose love for Christ had been proven in some trial or persecution.  Such was the case for Julie and Françoise whose love for Christ had been tested before their encounter.

Soon, a little community forms around Julie’s bedside.  In addition to Françoise, the daughters of Madame Baudoin invited their friends, the young women of the Méry and Doria families.  Father Thomas, in hiding at the Hotel Blin, guides the group and celebrates the Eucharist.  Children are baptized and confirmed in Julie’s room.  But this association had only an ephemeral existence.  Françoise remains as Julie’s only companion.

Françoise stays one year in Amiens.

Between 1795 and 1797, Françoise travels to Gézaincourt and to Bourdon to be near her sick father.  During these two years of separation, Françoise and Julie write many letters to each other.  Françoise returns to Amiens after the death of her father.  The letters from Julie to Françoise are saved:  33 letters where one can discover the affection that they had for one another.  They expressed their friendship.  And, as Saint Francis de Sales said:  the lack of communication (union of hearts) can end a friendship.

  • Julie quickly becomes the “Mother” in their correspondence.  While Françoise is the one of social standing and the first to offer her assistance, it is Julie who becomes the spiritual director in whom there is complete trust. 

After the death of her father, Françoise was free to consecrate herself to God as she wished.  But, she had doubts as to the shape of the project:  she was hesitating to become a Carmelite.  It is then that Julie informs her what she had seen in a vision when she was hiding in Compiègne:  some women religious and among them was  the face of Françoise that Julie did not recognize at the time.   Françoise returns to Amiens with confidence. 

The end of 1797, a new “Terror” breaks out.  Father Thomas, pursued into the Hotel Blin, escapes his aggressors on June 15, 1799.  The next day, Father Thomas, Françoise, Julie and her niece, Felicity, seek shelter in Bettencourt.  Together, they evangelize the village.  Julie’s health improves and she begins to speak. 

In every friendship, there is a second and a third phase: 

  • Between 1799-1803 (this is the second stage of their friendship relationship):  Happy period where they live together in Bettencourt – the friends share their interior life and each shares in the qualities of the other.

    Importance of communication: ) cf. Aristotle:  “”If friends are not able to be present to one another and if they are not able to communicate, the friendship will die.”)  Friendship has to be worked at and takes time.

    There begins the time that Saint Francis de Sales calls, “the gentle struggle of friendship”.  Friendship requires frankness; misunderstandings are inevitable (and there will be some between Julie and Françoise, notably due to the distance between them and their exchange of letters when one will be in Amiens and the other at Namur). 

    Friendship is strengthened through many shared difficulties, patience exhibited, tenderness, consideration, sharing of burdens.

    There is a visible change in Julie and Françoise’s relationship from director and directee to that of a mutually recognized equality. 

In February, 1803, Father Thomas, Julie and Françoise return to Amiens.  The two friends receive some orphan girls in a modest house on the rue Neuve.

  • The third and last stage in the development of true friendshipis its perfection:  union in diversity.  Friends at this point communicate every aspect of themselves becoming one of heart and soul.   As Aristotle said:  “One soul in two bodies.” 

    Testimonies abound related to the obvious union of Julie and Françoise who were in total harmony despite striking temperamental differences (cf. Memoires, Blin):  “Mère Julie, in a spirit of humility and Christian prudence, which never relies on itself alone, consulted [Mother Blin] as collaborator and friend… and the two were one in heart and soul.”  “Mère Julie’s character was very different from Mother Blin’s but they were so united that there was never any real disagreement between them.”  Julie was rather extroverted, quick to act; Françoise was reserved, introverted. 

On February 2, 1804, Julie, Françoise and Catherine Duchâtel (who will die a few months later) make their vow of chastity and commit to consecrate their life to Christian education.  They take the name, Sisters of Notre Dame, and received a rule from Father Varin.  Françoise, as was the custom at the time, takes the name Sister Saint Joseph.

On October15, 1805, Julie, Françoise, Victoire Leleu and Justine Garson make their religious vows.  The next day, Mère Julie is elected superior general.  On June 18, 1806, the statutes of the Association called Notre Dame are approved by Napoleon.  The opening of free schools is authorized.  Françoise brings her wealth to the Congregation.

A conflict breaks out in Amiens with the superior of the Congregation, Father de Sambucy.  He demands that Sister Saint Joseph bequeath the totality of her fortune to the house in Amiens exclusively.  The two foundresses refuse these propositions.  Father de Sambucy skillfully influences the Bishop of Amiens, Monsignor Demandolx, and succeeds in obliging Julie to leave the diocese of Amiens on January 12, 1809. 

Illustration by T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

During this conflict, Françoise gives witness to her deep friendship for Julie (sharing of burdens).

The first Sisters of Notre Dame are established in Namur on July 7, 1807, at the request of Monsignor Pisani de la Gaude.  The Bishop of Namur welcomes them with great kindness and offers them a house near the bishopric.  Sister Saint Joseph is named superior of the community.  Thanks to Françoise’s fortune, the Sisters buy a larger house, rue des Fossés (the actual Motherhouse).  Namur become the Motherhouse of the Sisters of Notre Dame.  Many schools are established.

4. After Julie’s death (After 22 years of friendship, Françoise will live another 22 years without Julie)

In 1816, after Mère Julie’s death, Mother Saint Joseph is elected superior general and will remain so until the end of her life.  She faithfully continues the work of her friend; she edits the rule, completes foundations in Liège and Dinant, creates those at Thuin, Verviers, Philippeville and Bastogne.

Her great concern will be to preserve the unity of the Congregation under the Dutch regime between 1815-1830.  By forbidding all foreign teaching authority, William I, is the source of many worries for Mother Saint Joseph. 
-King William fixes the number of sisters authorized to be in each house.
-The Sisters are obliged to take an examination before a Committee of Instruction.
-Françoise wants to resign as superior general in favor of a sister of Flemish origin for the good of the Congregation.

Finally, in December of 1824, she receives the document of naturalization and becomes a citizen of the Netherlands.

[After having caused so much worry, King William 1 comes to Namur in 1829.  He visits the school and leaves saying to her “Madame, a woman like you should never die!” (cf.  the Annals of the Congregation)]
-Meanwhile, Mother Saint Joseph had accepted to take responsibility for hospices since the schools were no longer viable. 

Mother Saint Joseph and King William I, illustrated by T.J. Bond dans Mother St. Joseph by SND, Sands and Co, Glasgow, 1964.

In 1835, in spite of the opposition of some sisters, she keeps intact the spirit of the Institute.  This is what is called the great trial; a sad trial that came from her own daughters who threatened the existence of the Institute.  One sister plotted the Reform of the Congregation of the Sisters of Notre Dame (18 sisters were in on the secret, one of whom was the Mistress of Novices). Their intention was to establish two membership categories:  lay sisters who would be responsible for the domestic tasks and choir sisters for teaching.  The intended goal of this new organization was to educate in the boarding school girls of the leisure class.  This project directly targeted two of the original three essential founding purposes of the Institute: 
-equality of the sister
-dedication to the instruction of the poor

The preservation of the general government had already earned for Julie an expulsion from Amiens. 

With the assistance of Sister Ignace Goethals, Mother Saint Joseph prevailed in this struggle but at the price of great suffering.  Three sisters left the Institute; the others recognized their errors and, after public reparation, were readmitted.  Françoise died at Namur, at the age of 82, (February 9, 1838). 

5. Conclusion

What touches us particularly with Françoise is the contrast between this woman of the nobility who tried to live simply (in the Congregation, there is no distinction between lay and choir sisters).  And, this was not easy for her or her family.  In Amiens, when she went into town dressed in a religious costume, this caused an embarrassment, to the discomfort of her family.  Françoise came from the highest ranks of French aristocracy but she never used her fortune to exert any influence or power over others.  As Sister Jo Ann Recker explains, her true power of influence resided, rather, in her ability to transform the life of others by means of friendship.  And Françoise possessed a tremendous capacity for friendship.  She had the unique ability to forget self and to be sincerely concerned about the welfare of the other:  from her grandmother whom she loved so much, to her childhood friend, (Jeanne de Franssu with whom she remained close until her death), to her friend, Julie Billiart, and her dear sister in religion, Sister Anastasia Leleu.  She was able to see the greatest good in each person she encountered.  God drew Julie and Françoise together for something special.  He led them to a unity in diversity to make possible the development of the Institute.

May this example of friendship between two women be a source of inspiration for you!


Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN) PWPT “A Treasure beyond Price,”  FVP, 2016

Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN), Julie, Françoise and Our Heritage of Friendship: A Treasure without Price,” Julie Renewal, 1997.

Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN), “Françoise Blin de Bourdon –  Woman of Influence: The Story of the Co-foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur” (Paulist Press, 2001).

Jo Ann RECKER (SNDdeN), “Très affectueusement, votre mère en Dieu : Françoise Blin de Bourdon, French Aristocrat, Belgian Citizen, Co-Foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur,” (Peter Lang Publishers, 2001). 

Marie-Francine VANDERPERRE (SNDdeN), Julie and Françoise, Nov. 3, 2008.

Magdalen LAWLER (SNDdeN), « Pathways to God’s Goodness,” ,2004, p. 22.

Myra POOLE (SNDdeN), “Prayer, Protest, Power, 2001, pp. 52-69.

What are sources to become acquainted with this friendship?

  1.  Memoires of Mother Saint Joseph
  2. The first Letters of Julie to Françoise
  3. Testimonials of the Sisters who knew them



La SIMPLICITE nous parle à nous, Sœurs de Notre Dame de Namur.

La simplicité, Julie, jeune fille de Cuvilly, ne l’a-t-elle pas vécue en tant que simple paysanne de Picardie avant de nous en parler ?

Julie parmi les moissonneurs, dessin de Sr Callista McEechan.

Julie choisit de beaux symboles de la nature comme le tournesol qu’elle admirait dans les champs autour d’elle ou le cristal qu’elle utilise également pour exprimer comment elle comprenait cette caractéristique qu’elle souhaitait pour chaque sœur.

« Celles qui ne sont pas simples ne sont ni les enfants de Dieu, ni les miens » Julie Billiart

« La simplicité est comme un cristal très pur que le soleil de Justice pénètre, éclaire et réchauffe », Julie Billiart

Sœur Mary Linscott développe l’idée :

« L’analogie du rayon de soleil brillant à travers le cristal suggère la pénétration complète et l’irradiation par lesquelles Dieu influe sur l’homme à travers la simplicité, en même temps que la transparence qui est la disposition humaine donnée en retour…

La simplicité de la lumière blanche ne signifie pas un manque de couleur, mais la potentialité de toute la gamme de couleurs non réalisée aussi longtemps qu’il n’y a pas d’objet pour réfracter son éclat »

Mary Linscott, toute imprégnée de l’esprit de Teilhard de Chardin, le cite :

« Jusqu’ici adorer a signifié préférer Dieu aux choses en les référant à Lui. Maintenant adorer signifie abandonner notre âme et notre corps à l’action créatrice. ..Unir cette activité à la sienne et conduire le monde à son accomplissement. » (Christologie et évolution)

« La simplicité impliquait Julie dans les problèmes de son temps. En effet, il lui était difficile de concevoir un christianisme se tenant à l’écart des tourments de la vie. »

Quel est le tourment actuel exprimé avec force notamment par la jeunesse du monde entier et répercuté dans l’encyclique du Pape Laudato Si ?

N’est-ce pas justement : l’urgence d’une conversion écologique à tous les niveaux ?

Référons-nous à un passage ou l’autre du Laudato Si à lire et surtout à chercher à appliquer dans notre vie avec notre charisme particulier de la simplicité.

«N° 222 : La spiritualité chrétienne propose une autre manière de comprendre la qualité de vie et encourage un style de vie prophétique et contemplatif ,capable d’aider à apprécier profondément les choses sans être obsédé par la consommation. …La spiritualité chrétienne propose une croissance par la sobriété…C’est un retour à la simplicité qui nous permet de nous arrêter pour apprécier ce qui est petit, pour remercier des possibilités que la vie nous offre. »

Autre exemple N°227 : « S’arrêter pour rendre grâce à Dieu avant et après le repas est une expression de cette attitude. Je propose aux croyants de renouer avec cette belle habitude et de la vivre en profondeur. Ce moment de bénédiction, bien qu’il soit très bref, nous rappelle notre dépendance de Dieu pour la vie, il fortifie notre sentiment de gratitude pour les dons de la création, reconnaît ceux qui par leur travail fournissent ces biens, et renforce la solidarité avec ceux qui sont le plus dans le besoin. » Pape François dans Laudato Si

Sœur Mary Linscott de continuer :

« C’est l’Esprit, planant sur les eaux qui donna vie à la création et qui, en couvrant Marie de son ombre réalisa l’incarnation. Son action transforme l’âme et l’amène à la vie de mysticisme actif et pratique que Julie décrit. C’est pourquoi elle recommande souvent son œuvre à l’Esprit, elle presse les sœurs de l’invoquer, de laisser sa lumière les envahir, illuminer leur travail. »

Les Sœurs de Notre-Dame participent activement à la conversion écologique.

N’est-ce pas, ouvertes à l’Esprit, que nos chapitres généraux successifs ont pris au sérieux ce tourment actuel de notre monde ?  Dans l’article 65 de nos Constitutions, nous lisons « Sachant que Dieu a créé toute chose bonne, nous lui sommes reconnaissantes et nous respectons toutes les ressources de la terre. Nous veillons à les utiliser et à les gérer pour améliorer la vie de tous »

En 2014, la Congrégation s’exprima ainsi « Poussée par la crise écologique, nous examinons chaque facette de notre relation avec la communauté de la création. Tous les membres et toutes les Unités de la Congrégation s’engagent à passer à l’action sur cette question brûlante de notre temps »

Que d’actions concrètes sont menées à travers le monde notamment par des Sœurs de Notre Dame, à différents niveaux concernant cette préoccupation majeure dans le souci intégralement conjoint de préserver la terre et par là de sauvegarder l’humanité comme nous le rappelle si clairement le Pape : « L’intime relation entre les pauvres et la fragilité de la planète ; la conviction que tout est lié dans le monde ».

Energies propres, panneaux solaires, assainissement de l’eau, nourriture saine, méthodes respectueuses de la terre…  Une sœur a même donné sa vie dans le martyr pour la cause : pensons à Dorothy Stang défendant la forêt Amazonienne  au Brésil, la lutte continue après elle.

Sister Dorothy Stang, SNDdeN

Plus près de Namur, prenons l’exemple de Jumet en Belgique où le grand parc va permettre la permaculture avec son principe « rien ne se perd tout se transforme ».  Pour en savoir plus sur la reconversion du couvent de Jumet (fondé par sainte Julie en 1808) en une ferme urbaine de permaculture, cliquez ici :

Photo du parc de Jumet, Belgique

Un autre aspect qui rejoint notre charisme est l’accent mis sur l’éducation.

Le pape François nous le rappelle : « Nous sommes devant un défi éducatif ».

N°213 de l’encyclique Laudota Si : «  Les milieux éducatifs sont divers : l’école, la famille, les moyens de communication, la catéchèse et autres. Une bonne éducation scolaire, dès le plus jeune âge, sème les graines qui peuvent produire des effets tout au long de la vie. »

Julie n’avait-elle pas ce sens éducatif lorsqu’elle dit « Préparons des jeunes filles pour la vie »

Dans les perspectives du projet bio à Jumet nous lisons : « L’éducation constitue l’un des axes principaux du projet. La présence d’une école primaire sur le site est un atout pour sensibiliser les enfants à l’alimentation naturelle. Nous pourrions aussi accueillir des étudiants de toutes disciplines en stage. »

Terminons par le sens que donne si admirablement le pape François à L’Eucharistie :

N° 236 : « Dans l’Eucharistie, la création trouve sa plus grande élévation.  Le Seigneur, au sommet du mystère de l’Incarnation, a voulu rejoindre notre intimité à travers un morceau de matière. Non d’en haut mais de l’intérieur, pour que nous puissions le rencontrer dans notre propre monde… L’Eucharistie est en soi un acte d’amour cosmique. L’Eucharistie est toujours célébrée en un sens, « sur l’autel du monde ». (Cf Teilhard de Chardin cité lui aussi par le Pape François)

Pour en savoir plus :

  • Mary Linscott (SNDde N), Au ciel à pied, 1969 (traduction française, 1990).
  • Mary Linscott (SNDde N), Le 4ème essentiel, 1971.



SIMPLICITY relates to us as Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur

Simplicity, didn’t Julie live it as a simple Picard farm girl of Cuvilly, before we began to speak of it? 

Julie among the harvesters, drawing made by Sr Callista McEechan.

Julie chooses beautiful symbols from nature such as the sunflower that she admired in the fields around her or crystal that she also used to express how she understood this characteristic that she wished for each sister.

“Those who are not simple are neither children of God, nor mine.”  Julie Billiart

“Simplicity is like a clear crystal which the rays of the Sun of Justice penetrate, light and warm.” Julie Billiart

Sister Mary Linscott develops the idea:

“The analogy of sunlight shining through crystal suggests the complete penetration and irradiation by which God influences human beings through simplicity, and the transparency which is the human disposition in reply….

The simplicity of white light is not lack of colour but the potentiality for the full range of colours, unactualized so long as there is no object to refract its prismatic brilliance.” 

Mary Linscott, impregnated with the spirit of Teilhard de Chardin, quotes him: 

“’Til now, to adore has meant to prefer God to things by referring them to him….  Now adoration means the giving of our body and soul to creative activity, joining that activity to him to bring the world to fulfilment.”  (Christologie et évolution)

“Julie’s simplicity involved her in the problems of her time.  Indeed, it was difficult for her to conceive of a Christianity that would not involve itself in the sufferings of life.” 

What is today’s suffering that is powerfully expressed by youth of the entire world and echoed by Pope Francis in his encyclical Laudato Si?

Is it not precisely:  the urgency of an ecological conversion at all levels?

Let’s refer to a passage or two from Laudato Si, to read and, above all, to attempt to apply to our life with its particular charism of simplicity:

“#222.  Christian spirituality proposes an alternative understanding of the quality of life, and encourages a prophetic and contemplative lifestyle, one capable of deep enjoyment free of the obsession with consumption….  Christian spirituality proposes a growth marked by moderation….  It is a return to that simplicity which allows us to stop and appreciate the small things, to be grateful for the opportunities which life affords us….”

Another example #227.  One expression of this attitude is when we stop and give thanks to God before and after meals.  I ask all believers to return to this beautiful and meaningful custom.  That moment of blessing, however brief, reminds us of our dependence on God for life; it strengthens our feeling of gratitude for the gifts of creation; it acknowledges those who by their labors provide us with these goods; and it reaffirms our solidarity with those in greatest need.”

Sister Mary Linscott continues:

“It was the Spirit whose brooding over the waters gave life to creation, and whose overshadowing of our Lady brought about the incarnation.  His action transforms the soul in the life of active, practical mysticism which Julie describes.  She therefore often commends her work to him, urging the sisters to invoke him and to let his light shine through them, illuminating their work….” 

The Sisters of Notre Dame actively participate in ecological conversion.

Haven’t our successive General Chapters, open to the Spirit, taken seriously the current suffering of our world?   In article 65 of our Constitutions, we read: “Gratefully aware of the goodness of God’s creation, we reverence the resources of the earth, and we are careful to use them in a spirit of stewardship to foster the life of all people.” 

In 2014, the Congregation explained itself in this way: “Impelled by the ecological crisis, we examine every facet of our relationship with the community of creation.  All members and units of the Congregation commit to take action on this defining issue of our time.” 

How many concrete actions have been undertaken across the world, notably by Sisters of Notre Dame, concerning this major preoccupation in this entirely shared concern to preserve the earth and safeguard humanity!  We recall so clearly the Pope: “The intimate relation between the poor and the fragility of the planet; the conviction that all is connected in the world.” 

Clean energy, solar panels, water purification, healthy food, methods respectful of the earth….  One sister has even given her life in martyrdom for the cause:  let’s remember Dorothy Stand defending the Amazon forest in Brazil; after her, the struggle continues.

Sister Dorothy Stang, SNDdeN

Closer to Namur, let’s take the example of Jumet, in Belgium, where the large park is going to permit permaculture with its principle: “nothing gets lost all is transformed.”  To learn more about the redevelopment of the Jumet convent (founded by Saint Julie in 1808) into an urban farm,  click here:

Photo of the Jumet park, Belgium.

Another aspect that links our charism is the emphasis that is put on education

Pope Francis reminds us: “We are faced with an educational challenge.”

#213 of the encyclical Ladato Si: “Ecological education can take place in a variety of settings:  at school, in families, in the media, in catechesis and elsewhere.  Good education plants seed when we are young, and these continue to bear fruit throughout life.”

Didn’t Julie have this educational meaning when she said: “Let’s prepare girls for life.”

With respect to the biological project at Jumet, we read:  “Education constitutes one of the principal axes of the project.  The presence of a primary school on the site is an asset in order to heighten the awareness of children to natural food.  We will be thus able to welcome students from all the disciplines for onsite training.”  

Let’s close with the meaning that Pope Francis so admirably gives to the Eucharist:

#236: “It is in the Eucharist that all that has been created finds its greatest exaltation.  Grace, which tends to manifest itself tangibly, found unsurpassable expression when God himself became man and gave himself as food for his creatures.  The Lord, in the culmination of the mystery of the Incarnation, chose to reach our intimate depths through a fragment of matter.  He comes not from above, but from within, he comes that we might find him in this world of ours….  Indeed, the Eucharist is itself an act of cosmic love….  The Eucharist is always in some way celebrated on the altar of the world.”

To learn more:

Mary Linscott (SNDdeN),To Heaven on Foot, 1969 (French translation, 1990).

Mary Linscott (SNDdeN), The 4th Essential, 1971.

the persecution of the church (the carmelites of compiègne guillotined)


 Saint Julie Billiart and the persecution of the Church at the time of the French Revolution

In Cuvilly, Julie becomes such an example of confidence and steadfastness in the faith that the revolutionary forces see her as a threat.  In 1791, persecuted because of her stance with respect to “constitutional priests” (those who took the oath of allegiance to the nation), Julie was forced to flee from her village and hide, first to Gournay-sur-Aronde, then, in Compiègne and, later, in Amiens.

Julie is in Compiègne at the time of the height of the politics of dechristianization (September 1793 – September 1794).  Dechristianization, during the French Revolution has for its goal to suppress Christianity in the daily life of the French; priests are deported or assassinated, religious are forced to renounce their vows, churches are closed or transformed into temples of Reason or of Liberty (as in Compiègne), crosses and pious images are destroyed, religious holidays forbidden, programs abolished, public and private worship is prohibited. 

In order to deal with the many counter-revolutionaries and French monarchists, Robespierre implemented exceptional measures that would later be called the “Terror.”  The most well-known is the terrible Law of Suspects which required the identification of all those who served the Revolutionary cause.  Nearly 20,000 people, suspected of sympathizing with the counter-revolutionaries, were executed.  It is in this context that 16 Carmelites are guillotined in July of 1794.

Relations between Julie and the Carmelites of Compiègne

  1. Julie living in CUVILLY is in contact with the Carmelites of Compiègne.

Julie, living in Cuvilly, knew the Carmelites of Compiègne whom she visited in order to provide them with cloth and embroideries.  Let’s study the General Archives of the Congregation in Namur.

The two older biographies of Julie written by Father Charles Clair, in French. (1895) and by Father James Clare, in English, (1909) mention Julie’s visits to the Carmelites of Compiègne. 

Father Charles Clair based his book on the “recollections of her first companions” of which we keep copies in the Namur Archives. 

  • On October 7, 1881, Sr. Marie Victoire Carez writes :  « […] At the height of the Revolution, she [Julie] sought refuge in Compiègne; there she was looked upon as a saint.  She was in contact with the saintly Carmelites, who died on the scaffold. […]. “
  • In her deposition of January 25, 1883, taken at Chimay, Sr. Marie Claudine (in the world as Julie Godefroit) notes:  “She [Julie] was in contact with the saintly  Carmelites, who died on the scaffold.” 

As for Father James Clare, he finds information in the Annals of the Congregation written in 1844 by Sr. Stephanie Warnier: “Around the age of 18 […], she [Julie] visited at that time the Carmelites of Compiègne who instilled in her heart the love of God and zeal for the salvation of souls.”

Father Charles Clair and Father James Clare add interesting details that are not found in written sources:

  • The reasons for Julie’s visits with the religious of Compiègne: “with respect to the sacred vestments that she had embroidered put her in contact with the Carmelites of the city” (Father Clair)
  • The talent of this girl.  Her skill in church embroidery, to which we have already alluded, took her from time to time to the Carmelite Convent of Compiègne, renowned at that time through all the countryside for its strict observance and the holy lives of its inmates.  Thus she formed an intimacy with that band of noble women who, a few years later, were one and all to win the martyr’s palm; and the annals of her life note that their saintly conversation fanned to yet brighter flame her ardour in the service of God.  Surely it was not a mere chance, but rather God’s eternal seal upon that friendship, that eight days after the hand of Pius X had placed the coronet of the Blessed on the brows of the Virgin of Cuvilly, it was lifted again to set it on those of the martyrs of Compiègne.”   (Father James Clare, pp. 20-21)

Here is another proof of the relationship between Julie and the Carmelites of Compiègne.

Abbot A. Odon (pastor of Tilloloy) written around 1887:

“When circumstances permitted, it was for her a sweet recreation, on Sundays and holidays, to go to visit the Carmelites of Compiègne.  Julie was so happy to speak with an open heart to the holy daughters of Saint Thérèse through their blessed grilles!  What a joy for her soul to pour out her feelings to these seraphic souls, so well formed to understand her!  Could she have drawn from a better source the desire of perfection, the attraction for the religious life, and this robust faith, this valiant love for Our Lord, this generous ardour, this ardour […] that came to be the distinctive character of her holiness and a mark of the profound imprint on the work that she was called to found?” 

2. Julie, refugee in COMPIÈGNE, has connections with the Carmelites by means of her niece and Abbot de Lamarche.

Julie is in contact with the Carmelites through her niece, Felicity, who accompanied her on the road of exile.  We know this thanks to a letter written by Mother Henriette de Croissy.  This note from the Carmelite, written between 1792 and 1794, unsigned and undated, but recognized as authentic, is interesting and delivers some details on Julie’s life:  the room that she will soon occupy permits her to receive visits.  We learn that Felicity did the Carmelites laundry (or that Julie and Felicity’s laundry was done in the Carmelite convent).  A name is evoked by Mother Henriette de Croissy:  it’s that of a certain Madame Gabriel to whose home Julie would be transported.  She suffered at the time from rather violent toothaches. 

“[… ] Felicity had just come to get the laundry that she thought was here but she was not able to take the time to go to your place as it was necessary that she go to the druggist.  Julie has a very bad toothache and tomorrow she will be transported to Madame Gabriel’s home; she would not be able to keep the (?) crippled without suffering from her great sensibility.  The surgeon thinks that she will have a rotten fever; in her new dwelling she could be visited but she will not be able to keep anyone.  This happy inconvenience is not frequent… […]  Felicity will gladly see that you send her the laundry through Thérèse, if that can happen.”

Letter (between 1792-1794) from Mother Henriette de Croissy, Carmelite guillotined in Paris in 1794. Arch. Dép. Q. FFI no. 50. Click to enlarge the image.

Julie is in contact with the Carmelites also by means of Abbot de Lamarche, priest at Compiègne.  He met Julie in 1793 when “he ministered to some of the faithful and, notably, to the Carmelites.  It is he who, disguised as a workman, will bless each Carmelite going to her death.  The testimony left by Abbot de Lamarche expresses his admiration for the faith and strength of soul of Julie in spite of her paralysis and the threats associated with the “Terror.” 

“February 2, 1820.  It was not until 1793 that I made the acquaintance of Julie.  She had left Cuvilly, her native place, and taken to Compiègne for greater safety in the troubles which at that time agitated France.   I was ministering to the spiritual needs of some faithful souls who dwelt there, notably the Carmelite nuns.  Julie was living in retirement in a small room with one of her nieces who took care of her.  I went to visit her; she did not speak or rather she only spoke by signs.  When she went to confession, I had to give her an hour’s notice.  She then prepared herself with intense fervor and obtained, as she owned to me, the grace of articulating distinctly.  It was only after absolution that she fell back into speechlessness.  It seemed clear to me that it was by no effort by nature that she was able to express herself in confession, but that she obtained this favor by her lively faith.  I saw her from time to time for about a year. I was more and more astonished at her progress in perfection.  She offered herself continually to God as a victim to appease His anger.  Her resignation was perfect; always calm, always united to God.  Her prayer was so to speak unceasing… […]”

It is through Father de Lamarche that Julie must have learned that the Carmelites of Compiègne offered themselves as a holocaust to appease God’s anger, so that peace might return to the Church and to the State.

When the Carmelites were guillotined in Paris in 1794, Julie had been in Compiègne for two years.  The news of their death was without doubt very painful for her.  As Sr. Roseanne Murphy (SNDdeN) says: “their heroic deaths made a profound impression on Julie; she often referred to them years later.  She felt the loss of her friends for they had been a prayerful support for her since she was a child.” 

The Martyrdom of the Carmelites of Compiègne

The 16 Carmelites of Compiègne

In the context of dechristianization, on September 14, 1792, the Carmelites are expelled from their convent by the civil authorities.  They then lived their vocation in different houses in Compiègne, where they were separated into 4 groups.  They pronounce each day a “vow of total consecration to the Divine Will” – even were it at the price of their life – to obtain the end of the massacres of the Terror and peace for the Church and the State.

Commenorative plaque affixed on one of the three houses where the Carmelites sought refuge in Compiègne.
Church of Saint Anthony in Compiègne where Abbot Jean-Baptiste Courouble (or Caroube) celebrates Mass – with the authorization of the constitutional pastor Thibaux – for the Carmelites expelled from their convent and who resided in houses near this church.

They were arrested on June 22-23 1794 and incarcerated in a former convent of the Visitation, converted into a prison.  The Reign of Terror is then at its apex and affects, notably, religious orders.   Thus, at Arras, on June 26, four religious of the Daughters of Charity are executed and in July, 32 religious, Ursulines, Sacramentarians, Bernardines, as well as 30 priests are guillotined.

On July 12, 1794, the 16 Carmelites are transferred from Compiègne to Paris, where they are judged on July 17 under accusation of “plotting against the Revolution.”  The act of accusation is drawn up by Fouquier-Tinville.  They are condemned to death and executed that very day as “fanatics and insurrectionaries.” 

On July 17, while walking toward their martyrdom, they pray and sing the Miserere, the Salve Regina and the Te Deum.  At the foot of the scaffold, they intoned the Veni Creator and renew their baptismal promises and their religious vows.  Sister Constance de Jésus (Meunier), a novice, is called first.  She asks the Mother Prioress, Thérèse de Saint-Augustin Lidoine) for her blessing and her permission to die.  She then climbs the steps of the scaffold while singing the Laudate Dominum omnes gentes.   The same scene is produced for the other sisters.  The prioress is sacrificed last.  They are then buried in a common grave in the cemetery of Picpus. On May 27, 1906, they are beatified by Pope Pius X

“What happiness to die for one’s God!” cried out one of them.  “Let’s be the last to die.”  In effect, ten days after this sacrifice, the turmoil, which during two years had spread on French soil the blood of France’s children, ceased.  (Decree of Beatification)

The Carmelites of Compiègne were beatified two weeks after Julie had received this honor on May 13, 1906.

Like the Carmelites of Compiègne, Julie, humbly, participates in the mystery of love of a God wounded by the world’s suffering.  In spite of the danger of the troubles tied to the French Revolution, her deep conviction in the Goodness of God, is unshakeable.  Entirely paralyzed and not able to express herself, she gives meaning to her life by offering herself as a victim and by presenting to Christ her life as a woman dispossessed of all activity and of any possibility of service.  This abandonment leads her to an absolute confidence.  She will later write:

A sign was given to Julie, as a response and also as a call to an absolute gift (see the theme for May):

If the cross is present, Julie knows that it is the expression of the infinite goodness of God and his immeasurable love.

50 Années de Sainteté