Les réfugiés SDF ou immigrants

anglais

1_CitationPape

A cause des troubles liés à la Révolution française, Julie est contrainte de fuir son village natal en mai 1791.  A 40 ans, elle n’avait jamais quitté Cuvilly, ses parents et sa famille.  Durant trois ans, elle fuit et se cache.  Bien qu’elle reçoive la protection de quelques bienfaitrices qui prennent des risques énormes en la cachant et l’aide de sa nièce Félicité qui l’accompagnera sur le chemin de l’exil, cette période est la plus sombre de sa vie.

Pourtant la souffrance et les grandes difficultés n’enlèvent rien au fait de sa confiance en Dieu.

2_CitationJulie

  • Janvier à mai 1791 : Troubles religieux à Cuvilly

Quand la Révolution éclate à Paris en juillet 1789, Julie fête ses 38 ans.  Elle est paralysée déjà depuis plusieurs années : en 1782, Julie avait été touchée par une épidémie que les médecins de l’époque croyaient pouvoir guérir par d’abondantes saignées qui, peu à peu, lui enlevèrent l’usage des deux jambes.  Ce fut pour elle un temps de profonde croissance spirituelle.  Clouée dans son lit, Julie prie beaucoup et continue son œuvre de catéchiste en accueillant des villageois parmi lesquels ses bienfaitrices.  Julie ouvrait des chemins de totale confiance en Dieu aux habitants de Cuvilly, déboussolés par les idées nouvelles et les tourments liés à la Révolution.

C’est en 1791 que les troubles éclatent à Cuvilly.  Le 12 juillet 1790, la France adoptait un nouveau décret, la « Constitution civile du clergé » : le clergé devenait un corps de fonctionnaires payés et choisis par l’Etat ; ceux-ci devaient prêter un serment de fidélité à la nation.  Les prêtres avaient jusqu’au 1er janvier 1791 pour prêter serment.

3_Serment
Illustration qui montre comment obliger les prêtres à prononcer serment de fidélité à la nation.

Le 9 janvier 1791, l’abbé Dangicourt, en place à Cuvilly depuis plus de 15 ans, et son vicaire Delaporte prêtent serment dans l’église paroissiale en ces termes :

« Je jure de veiller avec exactitude sur les fidèles qui nous sont confiés, d’être fidèle à la nation, à la loi et au roi et de soutenir, de tout notre pouvoir, la Constitution décrétée par l’Assemblé Nationale et acceptée par le roi, en tout ce qui ne sera pas contraire à la religion, étant écrit dans la suprême loi : rendez à César ce qui est à César et à Dieu ce qui est à Dieu. »

4_SermentDangicourtclic qui permet d’agrandir et de lire le document
Texte du serment des prêtres Dangicourt et Delaporte, 9 janvier 1791 (expédition au Département le 16 janvier 1791), Bibliothèque Municipale de Compiègne (B. M. C.), Mss 169, pièce 36.  Cliquez pour agrandir l’image.

Ce serment est considéré comme mauvais par le district.  En s’opposant aux idées de la Révolution, l’abbé Dangicourt et son vicaire deviennent ennemis de l’Etat.

Invités le 29 janvier à refaire leur serment par les autorités compiégnoises, les deux hommes s’y refusent.

clic qui permet d’agrandir et de lire le document
Lettre autographe du curé Dangicourt regrettant de ne pas se rendre à Compiègne, 4 avril 1791, B.M.C., Mss 169, p. 47.  Cliquez pour agrandir l’image.

A la différence de la plupart des autres cas, les deux ecclésiastiques trouvent un solide appui dans la masse de leurs paroissiens et dans la municipalité du village : les notables de Cuvilly présentent au District, le 12 mars, une pétition pour garder leurs curé et vicaire, et les salarier par une contribution volontaire tandis que la municipalité de Cuvilly demande au district de garder son curé : «… la perte d’un pasteur que les habitants de Cuvilly considèrent comme un père serait pour eux un sujet d’affliction que nous voudrions éviter …».  Finalement la cure est déclarée vacante et l’ancien cordelier compiégnois, Jean-Baptiste Rollet, est investi le 8 mai de la lourde tâche consistant à remplacer l’abbé Dangicourt.

clic qui permet d’agrandir et de lire le document
Proclamation des prêtres élus aux cures vacantes, 9 mai 1791, Archives Municipales Compiègne, P4 dossier 18-24, cultes.  Cliquez pour agrandir l’image.

Dès son arrivée le 15 mai à Cuvilly, le nouveau curé reçoit des lettres anonymes de menaces, tandis que la réception municipale est des moins chaleureuses.  Le 24 mai, il envoie un appel au secours au district dans une lettre.

clic qui permet d’agrandir et de lire le document
Retranscription d’un extrait du Registre des Délibérations du Directoire du District de Compiègne, 25 mai 1791, Archives Départementales de l’Oise – Série L.  Cliquez pour agrandir l’image.

Le district dépêche alors trois de ses membres accompagnés de détachements de la garde nationale et du régiment du Berry pour aller rétablir l’ordre à Cuvilly.  On arrête l’ex-vicaire Delaporte ainsi que plusieurs habitants considérés comme meneurs des troubles.  Trois de ces prisonniers, les Guilbert et Lanvin, sont de la parenté de Julie.  Les prévenus, Delaporte vicaire et François Lanvin maçon, sont conduits devant le tribunal du Département de l’Oise tandis que les Guilbert sont renvoyés à Cuvilly sous la surveillance de la municipalité.  Finalement, les prévenus bénéficient de l’indulgence du Tribunal.  Le calme semble rétabli dans la paroisse de Cuvilly où un nouveau maire est bientôt élu.

L’abbé Dangicourt serait parti pour le mont Valérien, en juin 1791, il meurt à Paris en octobre de la même année.  L’abbé Delaporte, de retour au village, aurait continué à dire la messe dans la chapelle du château de Séchelles.  On ignore où il séjourne entre 1791 et 1829, date à laquelle on le retrouve curé à Ressons-sur-Matz.

Quant à Julie, elle souffre de plus en plus mais sa confiance en la bonté de Dieu ne fait que se renforcer.  Elle devient un tel exemple de confiance et de fermeté dans la foi que les forces révolutionnaires voient en elle une menace.

« Julie eut le bonheur de préserver du schisme beaucoup de personnes qu’elle instruisait quand elles venaient la voir. » (Abbé Trouvelot, 1820)

« Et telle fut l’estime que les villageois avaient conçue pour la pauvre infirme que lorsqu’ils se virent privés de leur pasteur légitime, ils consultèrent Julie pour savoir s’ils devaient obéir au prêtre constitutionnel.  Forte dans sa foi, elle empêcha tout ce peuple de sombrer dans le schisme, ce qui lui a valu la persécution des partisans de la révolution. » (Sr Thérèse de la Passion, 1881)

Il est intéressant de noter qu’en 1793-94, Cuvilly reste l’une des communes du district les plus récalcitrantes à la déchristianisation ; l’agent national Bertrand déplore les « regrets du culte » manifestés par les habitants et leur reproche «leur opiniâtreté et leur entêtement pour le régime superstitieux et fanatique».

  • Chemin de l’exil
    Mai 1791 : Julie trouve refuge à Gournay-sur-Aronde

Persécutée à cause de sa prise de position vis-à-vis des “prêtres constitutionnels” (ceux qui ont prêté serment de fidélité à l nation), Julie est contrainte de fuir Cuvilly et de se cacher.  Madame de Pont l’Abbé dont le château se trouve à Gournay-sur-Aronde lui offre l’hospitalité en prenant des risques énormes comme tous ceux qui voulaient aider les personnes non désirées.  « Cette dame, qui venait autour du lit de Julie à Cuvilly et dont elle est extrêmement aimée, pour la soustraire à la persécution, vient la chercher dans sa voiture et la mène au château. »  Elle en prend soin jusqu’au moment où la fureur de la Révolution la contraint elle-même d’abandonner son château.  Julie est accompagnée de sa nièce, Félicité, âgée de 16 ans mais ne reverra plus son père, décédé alors qu’elle était à Compiègne, et apercevra une dernière fois sa mère quand elle fut transportée de Compiègne à Amiens.

8_CitationBiblique

9_GournayChâteau de Gournay-sur-Aronde

Julie demeure approximativement un an chez Madame de Pont l’Abbé.  Tourmentée elle-même, Madame de Pont l’Abbé doit fuir en Angleterre avec d’autres aristocrates émigrés, où elle meurt, laissant Julie et sa nièce Félicité, à la garde du concierge, Monsieur Camus.  Celui-ci, gendre du régisseur de la famille de Pont l’abbé, vient d’acquérir, comme bien national, la ferme du château régie par son beau-père.  Selon le Père Charles Clair, Monsieur Camus et Julie deviennent très vite amis.  Malgré ce gage donné à la Révolution, Monsieur Camus ne paraît pas avoir été un chaud partisan des idées du jour ; car il témoigne à la « fanatique dévote » un respectueux attachement dont le souvenir s’est précieusement conservé dans sa famille.

Chronologie du château de Gournay-sur-Aronde, cliquez ici.

D’après le témoignage du Père Sellier, «quand les révolutionnaires vinrent s’emparer du château et mettre la séquestre sur tout ce qu’il renfermait, les domestiques conduisirent Julie sur une charrette remplie de différentes pièces de meubles (d’autres dépositions parlent d’une charrette de foin) jusque sur la place de Compiègne où une famille charitable dont on ignore le nom en eut compassion»

Ce devait être en avril 1792, comme le rappelle un graffiti sur le mur du château.

10_Graffiti-1Graffiti du château de Gournay, mur latéral : souvenirs, en particulier, des troupes qui y furent cantonnées à l’époque révolutionnaire : « le 2ème bataillon de la Haute-Vienne foutra le bal aux aristocrates – 1792 La Nasion – 1794 Hemeri ».

Les patriotes des environs voulaient-ils s’en prendre uniquement à Julie, « la dévote », ou à Madame de Pont l’Abbé, dame noble qui la protégeait?  On peut s’étonner qu’une paralysée puisse être suspecte pour des révolutionnaires.  Mais il ne faut pas minimiser les incidents du 25 mai 1791 à Cuvilly ; parmi la population opposée à l’arrivée du prêtre constitutionnel, il y avait les Guilbert et Lanvin qui sont de la parenté de Julie.  Elle-même était connue à Cuvilly comme une fervente chrétienne en relation avec des prêtres non-constitutionnels ; et, qui plus est, elle eut partie liée avec des nobles, les de Pont l’Abbé, qui avaient émigré.  D’où les attributs de dévote… fanatique… suspecte.

Avril 1792 : Julie est abandonnée à Compiègne

11_CharretteJulie transportée dans une charrette de foin avec sa nièce.

Selon le témoignage de l’abbé Trouvelot, curé de Ressons-sur-Matz, Julie et Félicité reçoivent l’hospitalité des demoiselles de Chambon, qui auraient habité rue des Grandes Ecuries.  Nous ne savons presque rien de ces demoiselles, à part la bravoure dont elles ont dû faire preuve pour accueillir une étrangère bien mal à point !

« J’étais un étranger et vous m’avez accueilli. » (Mt 25, 35)

A Compiègne, la santé de Julie se détériore vite.  Tout-à-fait paralysée, elle perd l’usage de la parole.

Poursuivies et indésirables, Julie et sa nièce changent plusieurs fois de logis en deux ans et demi mais comme le signale Sr Marie-Francine Vanderperre, les Archives de Compiègne n’ont pas gardé le souvenir de la réfugiée qui n’a pas défrayé la chronique locale.  Seuls, un billet de la Carmélite Mère Henriette de Croissy cite les noms de Julie et Félicité, et une liste de réquisition pour la farine dressée en 1794 signale Julie et sa « niesse », rue Dufour.

12_LettreCarmeliteclic qui permet d’agrandir et de lire le document
Lettre (entre 1792-1794) de Mère Henriette de Croissy, Carmélite. Arch. dép. Q, FF1 n°50.  Comme on le découvre dans cette lettre, Julie est en relation avec les Carmélites de Compiègne par sa nièce Félicité qui lavait, semble-t-il, le linge pour elles.  En 1793, Julie reçoit plusieurs visites du Père de Lamarche qui connaissait aussi les Carmélites de Compiègne.  Comme elles, Julie s’offre à Dieu pour sauver la France et les chrétiens ; elle souffrira profondément de leur mort violente à Paris en juillet 1794.  Cliquez pour agrandir l’image.

clic qui permet d’agrandir et de lire le document13_RequisitionCardon
Registre de réquisition avec signature du citoyen Cardon et datation du 27 mai 1794.  Cliquez pour agrandir l’image.

Octobre 1794 : Julie est accueillie à Amiens

En octobre 1794, Madame Baudoin qui passait autrefois ses étés à Cuvilly fait venir Julie à Amiens à l’hôtel Blin de Bourdon, où elle loue un appartement pour elle-même et ses trois filles.  Elle espére que la présence de l’infirme lui apporte force et courage après la mort de son père et de son mari sur l’échafaud.

« Vous traiterez l’étranger en séjour parmi vous comme un indigène du milieu de vous; vous l’aimerez comme vous-mêmes, car vous avez été étrangers dans le pays d’Égypte. » (Lévitique 19,34)

  • Les Sœurs de Notre-Dame de Namur ont aussi été des étrangères, des nouvelles arrivées.

En 2 février 1806, durant le chant du Nunc dimittis, Mère Julie a une vision de l’apostolat futur de la congrégation qui passerait les mers et porterait au monde le message de la « Bonne Nouvelle ».

« Comme tant d’autres congrégations internationales, nous avons voyagé bien au-delà de nos racines. Des Sœurs sont entrées dans des groupes sociaux, des quartiers et des pays où elles étaient des étrangères. » Newsletter du l’équipe du leadership de la congrégation (CLT), Mars 2019.

«  Notre histoire révèle qu’une vision étriquée de la mission et la crainte d’être critiquées (que pensait-on de nous ?) nous a empêchées d’accueillir comme membres des habitants du lieu.  Heureusement nos yeux et nos cœurs se sont ouverts. […]   Le partage d’événements de notre vie permet d’effacer notre complexe d’étranger, d’accueillir celle qui se trouve à nos côtés et d’ouvrir nos cœurs. » Newsletter du CLT, Mars 2019.

  • Les Sœurs de Notre-Dame de Namur accueillent aussi des réfugiés.

Dans cette tradition, remarquons ce que les sœurs reconnues « Justes parmi les nations » ont accompli pour sauver des juifs durant la guerre.

Pour en savoir plus sur les sœurs qui ont sauvé des enfants juifs durant la deuxième guerre mondiale, cliquez ici.

Aujourd’hui, encore, de nombreuses sœurs de Notre-Dame de Namur accueillent et soutiennent des réfugiés et des migrants, comme Sr Marie-Dominique Kohler qui vit en Suisse et donne des cours d’allemand aux réfugiés.

Pour lire le témoignage de Sr Marie-Dominique Kohler, cliquez ici. http://sndden.be/soeur-marie-dominique-kohler

« Ainsi donc vous n’êtes plus des étrangers, ni des hôtes ; vous êtes concitoyens des saints, vous êtes de la maison de Dieu. » Eph. 2, 19.

Refugees, Homeless, Immigrants

French

1_CitationPape_EN

Because of the turmoil associated with the French Revolution, Julie was forced to escape from her native village in May of 1791.  Now at the age of 40, she had never left Cuvilly, her parents or her family.  For three years, she fled and hid.  Although she was the recipient of the protection of some benefactors, who took great personal risk in hiding her and, as well, had the assistance of her niece, Felicity, who accompanied her throughout her exile, this period was the most bleak of her life.

However, her suffering and great difficulties took nothing away from her confidence in God.

2_CitationJulie_EN

  • January to May 1791: Religious unrest in Cuvilly

When the Revolution broke out in Paris in July of 1789, Julie celebrated her 38th birthday.  She had been paralyzed for several years:  in 1782, Julie had been affected by an epidemic that doctors of the time thought they could cure by abundant bleedings which, little by little, deprived her of the use of her legs.  This was for her a time of profound spiritual growth.  Bedridden, Julie prayed a great deal and continued with her catechetical work by welcoming villagers among whom were her benefactors.  Julie opened paths of total confidence in God to the inhabitants of Cuvilly, disoriented by the new ideas and the turmoil associated with the Revolution.

In 1791, the disturbances reached Cuvilly.  On July 12, 1790, France adopted a new decree, the “Civil Constitution of the Clergy.”  Thus the clergy became a body of civil servants payed and selected by the State; these latter were obliged to take an oath of allegiance to the nation.  Priests had until January 1, 1791, to take this oath.

3_Serment
Illustration that shows how priests were obliged to pledge allegiance to the nation. 

On January 9, 1791, Father Dangicourt, stationed in Cuvilly for more than 15 years, and his assistant pastor, Father Delaporte, took the oath in the parish church in these terms:
“I swear to watch with fidelity over the faithful who are confided to us, to be faithful to the nation, the law, and the king, and to sustain, with all our strength, the Constitution which has been decreed by the Assembly and accepted by the king, in all which is not contrary to religion, as it is written in the supreme law:  “render to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God, what is God’s.

click to enlarge and to read the document
Text of the oath of Fathers Dangicourt and Delaporte, January 9, 1791 (sent to the Department on January 16, 1791), Municipal Library of Compiègne (B.M.C.), Mss 169, article 36.  

This oath was considered to be improper by the district.  By opposing the ideas of the Revolution, Father Dangicourt and his assistant became enemies of the State.

Invited on January 29 by the authorities of Compiègne to retake their oath, the two men refused.

click to enlarge and read the document
Handwritten letter of Pastor Dangicourt regretting his inability to go to Compiègne on April 4, 1791.  B.M.C., Mss 169, art. 47. 

In distinction to the majority of the other cases, the two ecclesiastics found solid support among most of their parishioners and in the surrounding municipality.  The notables of Cuvilly presented to the District, on March 12, a petition to keep their pastor and his assistant and to pay them by means of voluntary contributions while the municipality of Cuvilly asked the district to permit them to keep their pastor:  “… the loss of a pastor, that the residents of Cuvilly considered to be their father, would be for them a subject of affliction that they wished to avoid…”.  Finally, the post was declared vacant and a former Cordelier monk from Compiègne, Jean-Baptiste Rollet, was invested on May 8 with the heavy responsibility of replacing Father Dangicourt.

click to enlarge and read the document
Proclamation of priests, elected to vacant parishes, May 9, 1701.  Municipal Archives of Compiègne, File P4 18-21, religion.

From the day of his arrival in Cuvilly on May 15, the new pastor received threatening anonymous letters while the municipal reception was among the least warm.  On May 24, he sent a letter to the district asking for help.

click to enlarge and read the document
Transcript of an extract from the Registry of Deliberations of the Board of Management of the District of Compiègne, May 25, 1791.  Departmental Archives of Oise – Series L.

The district then dispatched three of its members along with a detachment of the national guard and of the du Berry regiment to go to Cuvilly to establish order.  They arrested the ex-assistant pastor, Delaporte, as well as several residents considered to be leaders of the disturbance.  Three of these prisoners, the Guilberts and Lanvin, were relatives of Julie.  The defendants, Delaporte, assistant pastor, and François Lanvin, mason, were brought before the tribunal of the Department of Oise while the Guilberts were sent back to Cuvilly to be under the surveillance of the municipality.  Finally, the defendants were beneficiaries of the Court’s indulgence.  Calm seemed to be reestablished in the parish of Cuvilly where a new mayor was soon elected.

Father Dangicourt is thought to have set out for Mont Valérien in June 1791 as he died in Paris in October of that same year.  Father Delaporte, once again in the village, continued to say Mass in the chapel at the chateau of Séchelles.  We don’t know where he went between 1791 and 1829, the date where one finds him again as a pastor in Ressons-sur-Matz.

As for Julie, she suffered more and more but her confidence in the goodness of God only strengthened her.  She became such an example of confidence and determination in the faith that the revolutionary forces saw in her a threat.

“Julie had the happiness of keeping from schism many people whom she instructed when they came to see her.”  (Father Trouvelot, 1820)

“Such was the esteem that the villagers had for the poor invalid that when they saw themselves deprived of their legitimate pastor, they consulted Julie to know if they were to obey the constitutional priest.  Strong in her faith, she prevented the populace from sinking into schism earning for her persecution from the partisans of the revolution.”  (Sr. Theresa of the Passion)

It is interesting to note that in 1793-94, Cuvilly remained one of the communes of the district the most rebellious to de-christianization.  The national official, Bertrand, deplored the “reluctance of this cult” manifested by the inhabitants and their reproaches “their obstinacy and stubbornness in favor of a superstitious and fanatical regime.”

  • Path of exile
    May, 1791 Julie finds refuge in Gournay-sur-Aronde

Persecuted because of her position vis-à-vis some “constitutional priests” (those who swore an oath of fidelity to the nation), Julie was forced to flee Cuvilly and to go into hiding.  Madame de Pont l’Abbé whose chateau was in Gournay-sur-Aronde offered hospitality while taking enormous risks as did all those who wanted to help people considered to be undesirable. “This lady, who was one who gathered around Julie’s sickbed and whom she loved a great deal, in order to save Julie from persecution, came to get her in her conveyance and took her to the chateau.”  She took care of Julie until the frenzy of the Revolution forced her to abandon her chateau.  Julie was accompanied by her niece, Felicity, aged 16, but would never again see her father who died when she was in Compiègne.  She would see, for the last time, her mother when she was transported from Compiègne to Amiens.

8_CitationBiblique_EN

9_GournayChateau of Gournay-sur-Aronde

Julie stayed approximatively one year with Madame de Pont l’Abbé.  Tormented herself, Madame de Pont l’Abbé had to flee to England, along with other aristocratic emigrants, where she died, leaving Julie and her niece, Felicity, under the care of her concierge, Monsieur Camus.  This man, son-in-law of the property manager for the Pont l’Abbé family, had just acquired, what was now a national good or property, the chateau’s farm that had been managed by his father-in-law.  According to Father Charles Clair:  Monsieur Camus and Julie quickly became friends.  In spite of this pledge given to the Revolution, Monsieur Camus did not seem to have been a devoted partisan of the ideas of the day; because he demonstrated to the “fanatical devotee,” a respectful attachment, one whose memory was cherished in his family.

Chronology of the Gournay-sur-Aronde chateau, click here. 

According to the testimony of Father Sellier, “when the revolutionaries came to seize the chateau and put it in receivership along with all that it held, the servants drove Julie in a cart filled with various pieces of furniture (other depositions speak of a haycart) to the town square in Compiègne where a charitable family, whose name we do not know, took pity on her.

This must have been in April, 1792, as mentioned in the graffiti on the wall of the chateau.

10_Graffiti-1Graffiti on the chateau of Gournay, side wall: souvenirs of the troops who were quartered there during the revolutionary period: “the second battalion of Haute Vienne will stick it to the aristocrats – 1792 The Nasion – 1794 Hemeri”

Did the patriots of the environs want to go after Julie, “the devote,” or after Madame de Pont l’Abbé, the noble woman who protected her?   One would be surprised that a paralytic was able to be under suspicion by the revolutionaries.  But, one must not minimize the incidents of May 25, 1791, in Cuvilly.  Among the population opposed to the arrival of the constitutional priest, there were the Guilberts and Lanvin who were relatives of Julie.  She herself was known in Cuvilly as a fervent Christian in contact with some non-juring or non-constitutional priests.  And, who more than she was connected with the nobility, the Pont l’Abbés, who had emigrated.  Hence the attribution of devote…fanatic…suspicious.

April 1792: Julie is abandoned in Compiègne

11_CharretteJulie transported in a hay cart with her niece.

According to the testimony of Father Trouvelot, pastor of Ressons-sur-Matz, Julie and Felicity received hospitality from some young women named de Chambon, who lived on the rue des Grandes Écuries.  We know almost nothing about these women, except for the bravery that they demonstrated by welcoming a stranger who was very much in a bad way!

“I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”  (Mt. 25:35)

In Compiègne, Julie’s health deteriorated quickly.  Completely paralyzed, she lost the use of speech.

Pursued and unwelcome, Julie and her niece changed lodging several times in two and one-half years but, as Sr. Marie-Francine Vanderperre pointed out, the Archives of Compiègne kept no remembrance of any refugee who did not amount to some sort of news story.   Only a note written by the Carmelite, Mother Henriette de Croissy, listing the names of Julie and Felicity and a requisition for flour drawn up in 1794, indicates the presence of Julie and her “niece”, rue Dufour.

click to enlarge and read the document
Letter (between 1792-1794) from Mother Henriette de Croissy, Carmelite. Archives, dep. Q, FF1 no. 50.  As one can see in this letter, Julie is in contact with the Carmelites of Compiègne through her niece, Felicity, who, it seems, does the laundry for them.  In 1793, Julie received several visits from Father de Lamarche who also knew the Carmelites of Compiègne.  Like them, Julie offers herself to God in order to save France and its Christians; she suffered profoundly from their violent death in Paris in July 1794.

13_RequisitionCardonClick to enlarge and read
Requisition record with the signature of citizen Cardon and dated May 27, 1794.

October 1794:  Julie is welcomed in Amiens

In October of 1794, Madame Baudoin, who had formerly spent her summers in Cuvilly, had Julie brought to Amiens to the Blin de Bourdon town home where she rented an apartment for herself and her three daughters.  She hoped that the presence of the invalid would bring her strength and courage after the death on the scaffold of both her father and her husband.

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong.  The stranger who sojourns with you shall be as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt:  I am the Lord your God.”  (Lev. 19:33-34)

  • The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur were also strangers, new arrivals.

On February 2, 1806, during the chanting of the “Nunc dimittis,” Mère Julie has a vision of the future apostolate of the Congregation that would cross the seas and carry to the world the message of the “Good News.”

“Like many other international congregations, we Sister of Notre Dame de Namur, traveled far beyond the borders of our roots.  Sisters moved into social groups, neighborhoods and countries where they were strangers.”  Newsletter of the leadership team of the Congregation (CLT), March 2019

“Our history reveals that a single-minded focus on the mission and the fear of being criticized (What would they think of us?) prevented us from welcoming local citizens as members. Fortunately, our eyes and hearts were opened.  […].  Sharing our life stories allows for the loss of the stranger, welcomes the person at my side and exposes the heart.”   Newsletter of the leadership team of the Congregation, March 2019.

  • The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur also welcome refugees

In this tradition, let’s note what the sisters recognized, what these “Just among the nations” accomplished in order to save Jews during the war.

To know more about the sisters who saved Jewish children during the Second World War, click here.

Still today, many Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur welcome and support refugees and migrants, sisters like Sr. Marie-Dominique Kohler who lives in Switzerland and gives classes in the German language to refugees.

To read the testimony of Sr. Marie-Dominique Kohler, click here. http://sndden.be/soeur-marie-dominique-kohler

“So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God.”  (Eph. 2:19)